cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Erase Config Commands

chrisbicm
Level 1
Level 1

Just wondering the easiest method to clear my config on an ASA 5520 and start "from scratch".... I have an old config on my ASA that I am looking erase but last time I tried to do this I ended up deleting my asa704-k8.bin file and ended up in a world of hurt. (I had been working with an older version of the IOS on some routers and switches... I miss the good old erase run, erase start)

Thanks,

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you already have 7.0(x) or better code installed, then you could also reset it to "factory default" with the following command:

configure factory-default [ip_address [mask]]

Using this command will reset it like it just came from Cisco.

A write erase will clear the entire config. If you clear it, make sure when you write your new config that you put things like your boot system variable in.

TD

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

dentt
Level 1
Level 1

Issue a write erase command. Just dont erase the disk0:

Dennt,

Thanks for the quick response, I know it was a pretty lame question... I just wanted to make sure before I ended up messing anything up. So if I issue the "write erase" command I am sure it will prompt me first I say yes... and then it should just load up with no interfaces configured just like "new"??

Thanks a lot,

Chris

If you already have 7.0(x) or better code installed, then you could also reset it to "factory default" with the following command:

configure factory-default [ip_address [mask]]

Using this command will reset it like it just came from Cisco.

A write erase will clear the entire config. If you clear it, make sure when you write your new config that you put things like your boot system variable in.

TD

h.parsons
Level 3
Level 3

I just change firewall modes, transparent to routed or vice versa. This will wipe out the config.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card