cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA saving config-- Can I just copy/paste?

Hi.

I need confirmation before I permanently disconnect 700 teleworkers.

I understand I'm supposed to save the config to a tftp server, but...

Can I simply "show run", copy the config to a notepad; and if I malign the config, I can simply paste the copied config back on the "#conf t", and I will have the original config back?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes copy show run to notepad and doing config t and pasting should work, if you have console access to device or basic network and done have SSH 

if you paste large config on the console, it will be slow, on SSH should be ok.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

@jmaxwellUSAF you could do that.

Depends on what is being changed though. A lot of settings are nested, so I might duplicate the settings, make the changes and reference those new settings and if required just switch back by referencing the old settings.

How do I "duplicate the settings"?

this will not work friend the password is hidden and I think it can not copy /paste .
so you will loss
username with password 
enable password 

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes copy show run to notepad and doing config t and pasting should work, if you have console access to device or basic network and done have SSH 

if you paste large config on the console, it will be slow, on SSH should be ok.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

For the pure config it could work as already mentioned. But depending on how much you "killed the system", after copying back the config there could also something missing like private keys for certificates. That could be important as you mention 700 teleworkers.

Better do a backup in ASDM to your local PC. This includes everything you need to restore the box.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: