cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5505 Support Contract - Which One?

teward
Level 1
Level 1

Got an ASA5505 second hand and the corresponding Security Plus license for it (no bundle for me thanks to second-hand equipment heh).

Problem is the IOS and ASDM are ancient.  I'd love to update it but I need a support contract.

I found a whole slew of support contract options on CDW, but I'm not sure which one i need.

I really only need basic level of support plus software upgrades and updates.  Which SMARTnet license should i be going after?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can attach a new service contract to these almost-end-of-sales units through August 2018.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/asa-5505-adaptive-security-appliance/eos-eol-notice-c51-738642.html

For an ASA 5505 base system (NO Security Plus), the basic Smartnet (8x5xNBD) is part number CON-SNT-AS5K8, list price US$71.

For an ASA 5505 with Security Plus and unlimited users license (i.e. original part number ASA5505-SEC-BUN-K9), the basic Smartnet is part number CON-SNT-AS5SBK9, list price US$203.

(The SKUs ending in K8 are functionally equivalent.)

Make sure whoever you buy it from associates your cisco.com userid to the contract in Cisco's order fulfillment system (CSCC old system or CCW-R new system).

Also note that if you plan to use AnyConnect, you need to buy a license separately for AC 4.x. The entry level license would be for 25 users. A 1-year term license (support included) would be part number L-AC-PLS-LIC= with L-AC-PLS-1Y-S1 (minimum qty. 25 each) at US$150 per year ($6 per user per year).

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

How many users is you firewall? You will have to go for the smartnet that includes the feature you have e.g. users, security plus, HA etc. Show version will give you the features you are licensed for.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can attach a new service contract to these almost-end-of-sales units through August 2018.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/asa-5505-adaptive-security-appliance/eos-eol-notice-c51-738642.html

For an ASA 5505 base system (NO Security Plus), the basic Smartnet (8x5xNBD) is part number CON-SNT-AS5K8, list price US$71.

For an ASA 5505 with Security Plus and unlimited users license (i.e. original part number ASA5505-SEC-BUN-K9), the basic Smartnet is part number CON-SNT-AS5SBK9, list price US$203.

(The SKUs ending in K8 are functionally equivalent.)

Make sure whoever you buy it from associates your cisco.com userid to the contract in Cisco's order fulfillment system (CSCC old system or CCW-R new system).

Also note that if you plan to use AnyConnect, you need to buy a license separately for AC 4.x. The entry level license would be for 25 users. A 1-year term license (support included) would be part number L-AC-PLS-LIC= with L-AC-PLS-1Y-S1 (minimum qty. 25 each) at US$150 per year ($6 per user per year).

Thank you for your answer, Marvin.  This is the most accurate answer, and matches up with the information I got from Cisco licensing and pre-sales.  I'll be getting the support agreement in the next several weeks and then will be getting the software updates for the ASA 5505 I currently have here.

Thank you all for your replies, though!

Hi Marvin,
I am IT infrastructure support for a small but growing company in CA. We presently have Cisco switches and a Zyxel firewall. We are looking to change to a Cisco firewall. I've used a Cisco ASA 5505 when I was working for another company about 6 years ago but I understand Cisco no longer supports this firewall.
What kind of a firewall would you recommend? It must support VPN clients (25 users) and do I need the service contract?
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card