cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASDM ACL Manager

cacjyoung
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone please tell me, or point me to where I can learn, "what's the difference in ASDM between the 'Access Rules' window and the 'ACL Manager' window, what's the purpose for having both of them in ASDM, are they related (updates I make in one don't seem to appear in the other), and basic questions like these?

Sorry, this might be intuitive to most, but sadly, not me. I appreciate any help anyone might offer. TIA

1 Reply 1

Not applicable

Access rules:

You can use access rules in routed and transparent firewall mode to control IP traffic. An access rule permits or denies trafficbased on the protocol, a source and destination IP address or network, and optionally the source and destination ports. To allow any traffic to enter the security appliance, you must attach an inbound access rule to an interface; otherwise, the security appliance automatically drops all traffic that enters that interface.

Refer the below URL for ASDM access rules:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asdm/6_1/user/guide/aclrules.html#wp1132996

ACL Manager:

The ACL Manager dialog box lets you define access control lists (ACLs) to control the access of a specific host or network to another host/network, including the protocol or port that can be used.

You can configure ACLs (Access Control Lists) to apply to user sessions. These are filters that permit or deny user access to specific networks, subnets, hosts, and web servers.

•If you do not define any filters, all connections are permitted.

•The security appliance supports only an inbound ACL on an interface.

•At the end of each ACL, there is an implicit, unwritten rule that denies all traffic that is not permitted. If traffic is not explicitly permitted by an access control entry (ACE), the security appliance denies it. ACEs are referred to as rules in this topic.

Refer the below URL for ASDM ACL Manager:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/asdm60/user/guide/vpn_gen.html#wp1106725

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: