cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP & "Dialer Watch"

kumezawa
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to get Dialer Watch to trigger based on (i)BGP. It ain't happenin...

Is it possible?

I tried adding EIGRP to the Remote Router and redistributing BGP into it, no go.

(I'm hoping to avoid doing a GRE Tunnel)

Thanks for your time.

2 Replies 2

micah
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, the route watched is independent of routing protocol. Are you simply trying to accomplish a backup interface DDR option? A GRE tunnel would not be needed for this...

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fdial_c/fnsprt6/dcdbakdw.htm

Thank you very much for responding.

I should have included more detail.

I have a decent idea of how Dialer Watch works, at least I thought I did. I have it running elsewhere. The difference though is that the site where I have successfully implemented Dialer Watch is a Frame Relay node on my WAN. It is running EIGRP.

The site where I'm having trouble with Dialer Watch is a VPN site. (1700 connecting to a 3000) It was NOT running a routing protocol. It had a default route with ACL's and a Route-map to direct Tunnel/Internal traffic vs. non-Tunnel traffic.

At this VPN site I've implemented iBGP. I'm propagating a single route, to the Loopback of an Internal router, strictly as a Dialer Watch trigger.

The iBGP peer is on the inside of my network. Since it is not adjacent the route is not asociated with an Interface. (right?) Could this be why Dialer Watch won't fire when I kill the BGP route?

At this point I'm thinking about going ahead with GRE so I can run EIGRP. But I'm still scratching my head over the BGP issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: