Views
Helpful
Replies

Can PIX 515 support 'mac address' filtering

hancherk
Level 1
Level 1

Dear sir/madam,

Anybody know whether PIX 515 Firewall support 'mac address' filtering feature?

If i only want particular 'mac address' to access my server, can it be done?

Right now all SSH user can access my server by providing correct user name and password.

9 Replies 9

tvanginneken
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

the PIX can not do MAC address filtering. Sorry...

Kind Regards,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for reply, do you know any network equipment have this feature?

Going off memory I am pretty sure you can create a VLAN on a switch and filter by MAC, also a router put in bridge mode should be able to do that as well.

Hi Dennis,

I have a Vlan on switch, will try this out first. Thanks a lot for the direction.

HI Dennis,

Can I use VMPS feature to get what i want as it is for mac address filtering? Thank you.

Are you currently using VMPS? I'm a little fuzzy on it as I had to pull an all-nighter rebuilding a server last night but I think VMPS is more for creating VLANs dynamically based on MAC addresses and it seems you were looking more for a way to lock down a specific port on a switch that is static. VMPS can probably get your desired result but when I do this I go more for rules on the switch itself. Just my 2 cents

Hi Dennis,

I think it can't work because I'm using Cisco Catalyst 2950 which VMPS is not supported.

I think probably we are facing 'hardware not compability' problem. Anyway, really thanks a lot for the directory and advise. Might see you some other time :)

you can use VLAN's on the 2950 cant you?

Or were those the models that didnt support it. If you can you can definitely filter even down to each port you want the MAC addresses that can access that port.

Hi Dennis,

I am sorry for late reply... i away these few days....

As i know VMPS only supported in Catalyst 5000 series or above...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card