Views
Helpful
Replies

CAT 3550 Permit Specific IP address on port

akota
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have run into a scenario where the objective was to only allow a router to connect to a 3550 port if the router had a specific IP address assigned. I know how to do port security with a mac address but how can this be done with IP address? If an ACL is used then it would have to be updated for any networks that are added behind that router and really doesn't address the objective of limiting the connecting router's IP address.

4 Replies 4

kbeltz
Level 1
Level 1

3550 - cannot filter IP traffic based on MAC addresses

I am not trying to filter IP based on MAC. I am trying to filter IP based on IP. Take away MAC filtering. How can I allow only a specific IP on a switchport without affecting transit traffic that may generate from behind the device on that switchport.

cisco_sunl723
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

you can use the route policy for it.

Thank you for the response. However, I believe the same that exists with ACL will exit with route policy. You still have to match some source/destination address. So if you lock down to the IP address of the router on that port you block out any transit traffic from behind it. If I am wrong please explain.

Thanks,

Jason

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: