Views
Helpful
Replies

Certification help

Network Pro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a valid ccnp routing and switching and have done 1 paper in ccnp security ( 642-617) but now when i look at the cisco career certification 642-617 is not available instead 642-618 is available.

in order  for me to obtain my ccnp security how many papers do i need to do ? (just the rest 3 will do because cisco have come back saying i need to do 3 papers apart from the one i have done + ccna security as well)

Thanks                

7 Replies 7

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For new tests, the Firewall exam 642-617 (version 1.0) has been replaced with 642-618 (version 2.0) as of May 2012. It was updated to refelct new NAT syntax etc with ASA 8.3+ software to better reflect the most current firewall products

As long as you pass all four required exams (Secure, Firewall, VPN and IPS) within 3 years of having passed the first one, you will be awarded the CCNP security.

Please see:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccnpsecurity

Thanks Marvin, i was under the same impression as well but someone from cisco says i need to do CCNA security as for CCNP, ccna security is a prerequisite ?

Also do i need to take up the new 642-618 or will i be fine just by doing the rest 3 (secure, vpn and ips ) ?

Thanks

I'm sorry I didn't mean to imply that ccna security is not a prerequisite. You have to earn a ccna before being granted a ccnp.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Network Pro,

You must clear CCNA-Security as a prerequsite for CCNP-Security.

It goes something like this:

CCNA > CCNA-Security > CCNP-Security

Just as with CCNP you need CCNA, the same holds true with the security track, only in this instance you need CCNA and then CCNA-Security in order to get the CCNP-Security.

ok thanks, do i need to clear this (ccna security + ccnp security) within 3 years of taking my first ccnp security exam

Yes. Meet the prerequisites plus complete all required exams within a 3-year period that commences with the first CCNP exam pass.

Giving credit to Mr. Todd Lammle, I have attached a graphic from his site that shows how each certification track flows. As you can see the CCNA R/S is a prereq for the wireless, security, and voice CCNA/CCNP/CCIE certification tracks. As well as the old tried and true CCNA/CCNP/CCIE R/S track.

The new Data Center track is also included as well. And, as you can see, the CCNA R/S is NOT, I repeat NOT a prereq for the CCNA/CCNP/CCIE Data Center certification track. (Which seems somewhat odd to me.)

And as always, you have a three year window to go from CCNA to CCNP in each of these tracks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: