cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 678 and FTP

ascnsult
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 678 on a MS SBS server. We are not able to access any FTP sites. After working with Microsoft on the configuration issues, it was determined that the problem is the router which only allows passive FTP transmission on port 21. I have checked the manuals, but did not find anything on configuring FTP. Is it possible to reconfigure FTP mode? How do I enable FTP?

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

nkhawaja
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

are you running IOSFW (CBAC) on this router? The only way to reconfigure ftp client is on your client itlself. Windows FTP client is by default active and I dont think you can change it to use passive mode. You can use other gui ftp clients to use passive mode though. I guess I understood why passive FTP is working and not active FTP. With Passive FTP both the connectiions to the FTP server are initiated by the client (inside) , hence they are allowed through and the return traffic as well. but in active FTP; server port tcp/20 also initiates a connection to client at port > 1024. Now your IOS should be sophisticated enogh e.g. running CBAC to inspect the port transmission on the control channel , hencing opening up the ports for the data channel. Otherwise you need to explicitly permit it e.g.

permit tcp any eq 20 any gt 1024

Thanks

Nadeem