Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA training

Daniel McLean
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I need to get up to speed on deploying and maintaining a Cisco ASA 5510 for a branch office.  What are my options? 

I've used Trainsignal for self study before along with QA.com for instructor led courses and was happy with both.  They both offer CCNA Security courses, I was wondering if this would give me enough ASA specific skills?

I'm a Sys Admin rather then Network guy, although I've configured 2960 and 3750 switches for my current company with multiple vlans, trunking and etherchannels.  I've held CCNA in the past but it's not current.  I'll need to configure the firewall rules, NAT and multiple interfaces along with a Site-to-Site VPN for the ASA.

Any comments welcome, thanks.

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The CCNA security training and supporting materials is a bit broader approach and doesn't really cover any ASA specifics.

A lot of books are written to the Cisco CCNP certification (firewall test) but there are a couple of decent books out that I would recommend to you:

Accidental Administrator: Cisco ASA Security Appliance

Cisco ASA, Pix and FWSM Firewall Handbook

The first is probably a better intro book and it does cover the newer software. (As of 8.3, Cisco ASA software changed some key syntax in the NAT and access-list entry areas.) The second one is becoming a bit dated but still does a good job at covering the breadth of these products.

Markus Thun
Level 1
Level 1

" I'll need to configure the firewall rules, NAT and multiple interfaces along with a Site-to-Site VPN for the ASA."

I am network administrator and this is my daily job. I can send you my documentation for site2site vpn and the NAT and access rules.

Regards

Markus

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: