cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA5512X URL filtering feature

siren eam
Level 5
Level 5

I am looking for ASA5512 URL filtering feature since i look datasheet not yet clare. my purpose find the price P/N the right one  in order to purchase but i not clear.

please advise me which P/N suitable with my requirement.

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The Next Generation Firewall (NGFW) services such as Web Security Essentials (WSE) -  which includes URL filtering - have two parts necessary.

First your hardware has to have the Cisco 120 GB SSD inside it. That is where the CX software module software loads and where the logs and reports are stored (in a typical small installation - logs can be sent off-box as well). If your firewall was ordered as "ASA5512-SSD120-K9" (or -K8) then you have the necessary SSD. If not then you have to order it as a spare (part number ASA5500X-SSD120=).

Once you have the necessary hardware, you need the subscription services. A prerequisite for them is having a Smartnet support contract on your hardware. With that, there are several options to then subscribe - you can can AVC (Application Visibility and Control) + WSE or AVC + WSE + IPS (Intrusion Protection System). Those various package combinations are offered in 1, 3 and 5-year subscription terms. The part numbers for those are all on the data sheet - see table 4 here.

Cisco doesn't generally publish prices in a public price list. Your authorized reseller or partner can work with you to price out the necessary components, either for budgetary planning or purchase purposes.

Hello Marvin,

Thank you for your answer my question.

Now we got the product. while we buying this product we included ASA5512-AI1Y which have feature IPS. but when we activated we see it is CX module not IPS module.

So next support from you, can you be my favour to active this module IPS(ASA5512-AI1Y) 

thank you so much for you kind and this case we are looking to hearing from you soon. Thank you!

The NGFW IPS runs on the CX module.

The dedicated IPS module is only for the legacy IPS product.

To setup and start using the CX module, please refer to the Quick Start Guide.

Be advised the the NGFW IPS only gives you IPS services with limited customization features. It does not give URL filtering - that is a feature of Web Securtity Essentials (WSE, which also runs on the CX module).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: