cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco NAC Agent claims Windows Isn't Updated

YouDenToe10
Level 1
Level 1

I'm running on Win XP SP3 and I typically have no trouble connecting to the campus network I'm behind. I have auto-updates configured and keep my computer up-to-date and virus-free. Last Monday I tried logging in with NAC agent and was denied access saying Windows XP needed an update. I have no optional or high priority updates to install, and I have significant reason to believe Microsoft knows more than Cisco does when it comes to its product.

I've tried checking registry issues, I've done several virus/malware scans with several different programs, checked and double-checked if windows is updated, and reinstalled NAC agent several times.  I've contacted my network administrator and he was unable to provide a solution. Is this a known bug and is there an easy fix for it?

3 Replies 3

Lauren Sullivan
Level 1
Level 1

Your network administrator should be able to tell you what hotfixes the agent says you're missing based on the failed report returned to the CAM.  If the requirement is set to go against an internal WSUS server, then the network admins can set what hotfixes they require, which may or may not be the same ones Microsoft recommends.  Some common "extras" are Office updates and Javascript updates.  Besides that, I haven't heard of any current XP SP3 hotfix issues.  Are other XP SP3 users having problems?

In the past the agent has said when I need hotfix updates vs. some other update.I am 100% up-to-date on all hotfixes as well, so I don't think that's the issue. The requirement the agent lists is "Windows Updates_XP" and doesn't provide any other information. I've updated my office and everything prior to posting here, as I said I've installed every update, optional or high priority and have had no success. My network administrator has been inaccessible for a period of time and hasn't responded to my queries after they were stumped on the issue. It appears from your forums that this is an issue that has happened before and may be a re-occuring issue.

I am having the same trouble and the NAC agent will not tell what Windows update it requires and windows does not show that I have any updates to received and the windows update history does not show any that have failed.  I cannot be anymore up to date on anything on my computer, but NAC still will not work.  This is not an isolated issue, and it is extremely frustrating that no one seems to know what to do about it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card