Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco & Nortel Contivity VPN clients on same PC

gadeiros1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

Is it possible to run the Cisco and the Nortel Contivity VPN clients on the same PC without switching the IPSEC service to "Deactivated" for Nortel and rebooting ?

According to this page:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2308/products_qanda_item09186a008017dbed.shtml

Cisco VPN client can "coexist" with Nortel, but only with rebooting ? Or is there a different way ?

Harald Henkel,

GS automation GmbH

7 Replies 7

fdessart
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

When coexisting with Microsoft client, Cisco vpnclient 4.0 will disable it (the service) when trying to establish connection. According to the document you mentionned previously, the Nortel client is also supported, so I would expect to have a similar behaviour.

Francois.

I have found that I can run the Cisco and Nortel clients on the same PC, but only under Windows XP. You of course cannot use them both at the same time, but I can use either one without rebooting or doing anything special.

Can you tell me, which versions exactly of the Clients you use ?

Because for me it doesn't work. One complains, that the IPSEC Service has to be deactivated and rebooted afterwards, and then the other complains that required subsystem is not available. I may add the exact versions and error messages tomorrow.

As I think I said before, this IS on Windows XP SP1.

I think the order in which you installed them might be important.

Which one did you install first?

Can you uninstall both, then reinstall in the reverse order?

Let us know your results.

Thanks,

francois.

I installed Cisco VPN first (a couple of weeks ago).

I uninstalled the Nortel VPN again now, but ...

I cannot uninstall the Cisco VPN !

There is no Option for this. I don't remember what options I selected on install. I think it was an EXE (no MSI). I don't even have a program group for it, just made a link to the gui program somewhere and it worked, but now I don't have an uninstall option in the program or in the Control Panel / Software!

???

How can I remove it now ?

Sorry. I found the "VPN Client" entry in the Control Panel / Software and uninstalled it now.

Why isn't the entry called Cisco... ?

And why does it say 1,37 MB while the directory with the Cisco VPN software had about 10 MB (plus I guess some files in Windows/System32 !?) ?

Anyway, I'll go installing Nortel again now.

Unfortunately I seem not to have the install file for Cisco on my Notebook, so installing that again has to wait till Monday.

Or how should the file be called ? Maybe I just didn't find it. I just looked for EXE but maybe it was indeed an MSI.

Have a nice weekend,

Harald Henkel

Thanks a lot.

Seems to work now.

Only problem I still have now is, that Nortel and OpenVPN don't work over our DSL router (Dl304) - only via local ISDN box (Fritz! Card USB) - while Cisco VPN works well.

But since this is a Cisco forum, I guess there wouldn't be anybody who could help me with that (probably some configuration of the Router !?)... !?

With kind regards,

Harald Henkel