cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco routers as PPTP client

dal
Level 3
Level 3

Is it possible to have a C831 or a C1721 to act as a VPN PPTP client that "calls" a Windows 2003 server to establish a connection?

Today I have 2 Windows 2003 server, where one is client and the other is server, but I want to replace the Windows client with a Cisco router... is this possible?

Thanks.

7 Replies 7

A good link, but it seems I need it the other way around. I need to call TO the Cisco router, not FROM it.

Is that not possible, or does it just lack an example? :)

Thanks again.

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

AFAIK I dont think its possible to do so.. you can refer the below link for some config samples but the other way out (router as server insteat)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk827/tk369/tk529/tsd_technology_support_sub-protocol_home.html

regds

Is it possible to do with L2TP then?

Thanks.

Yes possible with L2Tp.Check out for a feature called 'L2TP Client-Initiated tunnel'.

PPTP Client isnt supported in Cisco Routers other vendors support it if iam correct in low end routers.

Thank you for the tips, but all the articles seem to use the Cisco router as server, and Windows as client. I need it to be Windows as Server and the router as client.

And I have now spent the whole day trying to get this to work, but no :(

So if someone has a guide how to use a Cisco Router as L2TP client against a Windows 2003 server (with shared keys), it would be very much appreciated :)

Thanks to all who has answered so far.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: