Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco Web application firewall features

sfarazaz123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi respected members,

I need your suggestions to get the following features from WAF (Web Application Firewall). I have no idea 

about that.

which solution will provide these features.
1) Bruteforce attack detection.

2)Wrong password and username detection report.
3) Default signature based SQL and XSS injection attack detection.

6 Replies 6

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco does ot make a WAF per se.

Item #3 is certainly detected and blocked by a Firepower NGFW (FTD or ASA with Firepower service module) or NGIPS (Classic appliance running Firepower software).

Thankyou for your reply marvin.

Cisco does ot make a WAF per se.

???

you mean cisco does not make a WAF (Web application firewall)

if so than what do you suggest we should look for. i think than we need some other vendor for WAF.

Item #3 is certainly detected and blocked by a Firepower NGFW (FTD or ASA with Firepower service module) or NGIPS (Classic appliance running Firepower software).

OK. We have cisco 5516x with firepower. 

Correct - Cisco does not make a web application firewall (WAF).

As I alluded to, the Cisco Firepower product line does have some functionality that may be traditionally called part of a web application firewall (such as protection against SQL injection and cross-site scripting). However it is not intended to be competitive with products that are purpose-built as a WAF.

F5 ASM

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

This is probably long after a useful timeframe however cisco does (and has) made a WAF (Web Application Firewall) called Web Security appliance (WSA) previously known as SMA.

Datasheet here: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/content-security-management-appliance/datasheet-c78-729630.html

It is available in both Physical and Virtual form factor.

WSA is not a WAF.

SMA is the Security Management Appliance and is used to manage WSAs and ESAs. It is not another name for the WSA

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: