cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks 2000

jin.jung
Level 1
Level 1

Is anyone out there try to implement CiscoWorks 2000 for NT???..

Does any one know why NT server so slow to respond to any ciscoworks 2000 request?

I have P3 4x400 process with 1G RAM ,, and it takes about 20 minutes to bring up the application such as topology monitor or ciscoview..

16 Replies 16

0tross
Level 1
Level 1

i am currently running cw2k on two intel boxes. one p3-500 w/256 ram. performance is marginal on workstation. i am also running it on a p3-733 w/256 ram and performance is better on server. note both of these computers are running hp openview. do not use netscape use ie lates and greates version. netscape make the loading time worse. also make use that you install the cam manager this does help with the load times.

How is the integration with HP openview working?

We are in the process deciding weather or not integrate CW2K with HPOV, HPOV is running on HP-UX box and CW2K is on NT. I am try to compare advantage and disadvantage of integration.

So far, It seems like a more headache than what is worth.

we first had hp + cw on a sun box. we did not have skills to maintain it properly plus the response time was terrible even with a gig of ram. we decided to move to nt cause we have those skills in house. the process is really easy straight forward. the hardest part will be getting you lic. changed from hp-ux to nt. you have to call up hp and relic. your software. it works fine completly intergrated. there are no direct advantages except being able to launch cw from hpov.

njardine
Level 1
Level 1

I run ciscoview on my laptop a PIII 600 with 256 Megs of RAM and it takes about 2 minutes for ciscoview to open. Which I think is retarded let alone 20 minutes.

Is there are any documents as to how to setup NT server to perform faster for CW2K?. I already have followed all the steps from cisco installations guide.

For paging files and IE settings change.

Is the any other trick or registry setting to make it perform little better?

Or any recommendations?

jin jung

We had the same problem and we fixed it. Ciscoworks ran on an HP 500mhz with 384 megs of ram. It turns out that the HP had a newer ide drive with an extremely high rate of transfer, but the cable that went from the drive to the ide interface was meant for older, slower hard drives. They save about a quarter in using the old style cable. The cable was replaced with one intended for the newer higher speed transfer ide drive...cost about 4 dollars....and now instead of waiting 4 or 5 minutes for ciscoview to open up, it takes about 4 seconds. Everything has gotten substantiall better.

There is a lot of things that can cause poor performance of the applications. To start with, pay particular attention to the client system requirements at http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/cw2000/cw2000_b/lms/cmntrme.htm

As well as note what other processes may be running on the CW2K server - I was at a site the other day which was running trending software on the same machine. The database rollup was consuming 50% of the CPU power on a dual 900 MHz PIII, 1GB RAM. The result is that the CW2K apps were unusable.

Other things that can cause poor performance would include:

How often Availability polling is running

How many SYSLOG messages you are receiving

For Campus Mgr - are you trying to manage more than 1000 Nodes?

The distributed nature of CW2K lets you split up the applications onto different machines. You can run remote SYSLOG collectors, or run Campus Mgr. on a different machine, etc.

As far as CiscoView - CView 5.2 is about 3x faster than 5.1.

We have had a similar problem on a clients site running topology services - occasionally it would take over 20 minutes to load up. His map contained about 100 devices.

After going through the usual DNS tests and checking that CAM was installed on the client it was still slow. This seemed to suggest that performance was affected by an occasional background process.

I referenced the NMS hints on CCO

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/Campus/com_cwsi_4_top10.html

This implies that anything over 50 devices will benefit from altering the ANI discovery and increasing polling frequency. Also I altered the snmp timeout to 60s as the client had 8510's which are noted to be slow to respond to snmp.

In your experience does the amount of devices affect performance in Topology services?

is Cview 5.2 available for the custumers ?

and where ? (not found in http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/sw-center/sw-cw2000.shtml)

This version is only available through the Technical Assistance Center or through your Systems Engineer at this time. You may open a support case with our TAC online at http://www.cisco.com/tac/caseopen/

wwbarnes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have CW2000 on a Dell 800Mhz PC with only 256 Mram. I have all modules loaded with the exception of the performance monitor module. It's NT build 4 service pack 5 i believe. It runs fine! Oh yea, it is NT server.

dconfair
Level 1
Level 1

Check that DNS is configured on the CW server and that DNS is functioning. I had a similar issue a few weeks ago.

s.henning
Level 1
Level 1

Make sure that you have the CAM loaded on the client machine. otherwise you will have to load all the software over the network every time you access any of the Ciscoworks applications.

acolvill
Level 1
Level 1

I suspect it is more likely to be an issue with DNS resolution than CW2K causing the delay. Confirm that your DNS response times are OK and that reverve-DNS lookups work properly before attempting anything else.(ping -a, nslookup etc.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: