cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Could Someone Help Me With An Old Cisco LocalDirector?

Michael1043
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I recently purchased an old Pix LocalDirector from eBay. As one would expect, it came with no documentation or configuration notes but for $20.00, it was hard to resist. The seller didn't know if it even worked. I thought I'd take a chance and to my suprise, the little old Pix fired right up and ran. Unfortunately, the last user failed to clear the enable password, so I can't get into it to reconfigure it for use in my little home network. I registered myself here on the Cisco web site in hopes I could download the unlock key file but the web site said I had to purchase a service agreement from Cisco before I coul;d get this file. Well, I know from myt professional IT past that I couild never afford one of those agreements for myself and considering this is a well-beyond end-of-life product, I doubt they would sell me one anyhow. So, can anyone tell me if there's a way to clear the password in the hardware? Is there peradventure someone at Cisco who might turn loose of of a key file to this old thing?  As I mentioned, it's a Pix LocalDirector running software version 4.2(4), according to the "show version" command. The serial number is: 18003122. Could someone out there help me with this? Thank-you. Mike.

2 Replies 2

Michael1043
Level 1
Level 1

I also have a similar issue with a Pix-520 that arrived moments after I posted the above request. Same story with it. I would really like to put these two devices to work. Sure, it's just a little home network and doesn't amount to a hill of beans but it helps keep me out of trouble. Thanks again for any help that may be forthcoming. Mike.

Well, I guess "Someone" ended-up being me. I located a source for the password recovery/resetting disk (using Micro$oft's search engine: Bing - much to my chagrin - Google, go hang your head in shame), and created one disk for the 520 and one for the LocalDirector. I then loaded them up, one at a time, reset, and Presto! The enable passwords were cleared and I am now able to reconfigure the interfaces and everything else. I'd pat myself on the back but it hurts and looks ridiculous. Bye for now, all!