cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Could Someone Help Me With An Old Cisco LocalDirector?

Michael1043
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I recently purchased an old Pix LocalDirector from eBay. As one would expect, it came with no documentation or configuration notes but for $20.00, it was hard to resist. The seller didn't know if it even worked. I thought I'd take a chance and to my suprise, the little old Pix fired right up and ran. Unfortunately, the last user failed to clear the enable password, so I can't get into it to reconfigure it for use in my little home network. I registered myself here on the Cisco web site in hopes I could download the unlock key file but the web site said I had to purchase a service agreement from Cisco before I coul;d get this file. Well, I know from myt professional IT past that I couild never afford one of those agreements for myself and considering this is a well-beyond end-of-life product, I doubt they would sell me one anyhow. So, can anyone tell me if there's a way to clear the password in the hardware? Is there peradventure someone at Cisco who might turn loose of of a key file to this old thing?  As I mentioned, it's a Pix LocalDirector running software version 4.2(4), according to the "show version" command. The serial number is: 18003122. Could someone out there help me with this? Thank-you. Mike.

2 Replies 2

Michael1043
Level 1
Level 1

I also have a similar issue with a Pix-520 that arrived moments after I posted the above request. Same story with it. I would really like to put these two devices to work. Sure, it's just a little home network and doesn't amount to a hill of beans but it helps keep me out of trouble. Thanks again for any help that may be forthcoming. Mike.

Well, I guess "Someone" ended-up being me. I located a source for the password recovery/resetting disk (using Micro$oft's search engine: Bing - much to my chagrin - Google, go hang your head in shame), and created one disk for the 520 and one for the LocalDirector. I then loaded them up, one at a time, reset, and Presto! The enable passwords were cleared and I am now able to reconfigure the interfaces and everything else. I'd pat myself on the back but it hurts and looks ridiculous. Bye for now, all!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: