Views
Helpful
Replies

cs-mars changing the community string on multiple devices

orsonjoon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We've changed the snmp v2 community strings on all the network devices.

Is it possible in cs-mars to change the community string on multiple devices?

When I select edit in admin>security and monitor devices> and select several devices and click edit the message "please select only one device to edit"

What's the best way to do this, and is this absoluteley nessecary?

Many thanks for all the help......

2 Replies 2

mikecrowe4ICS_2
Level 1
Level 1

> Is it possible in cs-mars to change the community string on multiple devices?

Yes, it's possible for some device types.  The SNMP community string(s) can be bulk updated using a seed file, but only for the following device types: PIX, PIX 7.x, ASA, IOS, and SWITCH-IOS.  Any other device types have to be updated manually.  The details are on page 1-46 of the Device Configuration Guide.  You will also need the details for using a seed file, from the same document.

> is this absoluteley necessary?

If you want to communicate with the devices via SNMP, then yes, you need to update the strings.  This is especially the case if you don't use any other communications protocols such as SSH, Telnet, or FTP.  Also, without the updated SNMP strings, MARS can't fully discover the Layer 2 topology from the device.

Unfortunately, the SNMP string bulk update is only available for SNMPv1 (or v2 with no encryption) credentials.  If you're using SNMPv3, each device has to be edited manually.

Thanks, for the answer....it wasn't the answer I was hoping for

but it is like it is I guess

Is there a way to export the devices in CS-mars to a seed file, then change it and import it again?

It's an awfull lot of work to modify the snmp string manually...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: