Views
Helpful
Replies

CS-Mars Events/Incidents History

learnsec
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all

i have a running CS-Mars, where it is configured for a daily backup using NFS protocol.

On the backup server, a new folder named by the Day Date is created daily where some sub folders inside are created (cf,es,in,rr,st).

1. My question is that, in the backup folder, the folder of October 22 (for example) does it contain ONLY the logs/events/incidents of October 22, or it does include all previous logs from the day the mars was installed? Because i am noticing that the size of each folder created daily is near from each other.

2. i want to know what is the size of the current Mars database containing events/incidents? to identify how much this database is increasing daily! and to

know how much the CS-Mars can keep on old events/incidents. Can CS-mars retain events/incidents for a year past? More? Less? Sure it is based on the log size but approximately how much!

3. in addition i know that once the Mars database is full, it will automatically delete old events/incidents. My question is that can i go back to archive and restore something (maybe a folder maybe something else) in order to read the old data deleted from the current cs-mars database without affecting any current config, or the normal work of the mars? And if restoring shall it restore other things or it will restore based on a certain criteria based on a query or rule?

And most important if i want to have a second copy of the archived data, that should contains my CS-Mars Logs, is it enough to take a copy of the last folder created for example October 22, or i have to copy all days folders created in Archive folder?

4. Finally, i would like to know can i configure CS-Mars to send me an e-mail notification for a specified recipient when a High Risk incident/event fires on CS-Mars from whatever reporting device the event was collected?

best regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sorry about the delay in replying. For the failure, you will need to open a TAC case so that we can track the issue and possibly setup a webex to investigate.

IME is the IPS mgmt tool. I presume that you can get the IPS message rate from IME (thats the implication here).

From the data sheet http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps5739/ps6241/data_sheet_c78-458671.html you can see that the MARS 25 has 250Gb hard disk. Looking at the diskuage output you can see that all of the filesystem sizes added together make approx 250gb. Afaik, only /u02 is the events DB (135gb). I dont find any doc explaining the usage of the other disks, sorry.

The 2gb is the ram (check sysstatus output). I'll try and find out about the 1.5mb storage.

Matthew

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

mwinnett
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

1: The event data is for that day. You can see this when you do a restore, the MARS tracks through each nfs directory loading events.

2:  Please see attached file on mars sizing.

3: As per 1, you will need to copy all folders.

4: Should be possible. Create a rule specifying sev red, device name and recipient email.

Matthew

How does the CSMARS database storage functioning? We experienced with 1 incident where the disk corrupted and the appliance have to be replace. We did not backup all the data but only managed to setup daily archived, the problem occurred when we wanted to retrieved the old syslogs data from the security devices/appliances that integrated with CSMARS. Is there any method that we can used to retrieve back the previous syslogs that have not been stored in CSMARS database, and send it again to CSMARS from the devices/appliances?

When you run pnrestrore the mars DB is reset (cleared out). ie: you will only recover the available archive directories. I checked this in the lab. During the pnrestore you will see

Recreating the database schema.
Importing data into database ...

Prior to the restore I had 10 days worth of data, having deleted days 2-10 from the archive, I restored and only had the previous days data.

You can see the event DB size (afaik) using the diskusage command (/dev/sda11 0 /u02)

[pnadmin]$ version
6.0.6 (3368) 35
[pnadmin]$ model
CS-MARS-25
[pnadmin]$ diskusage
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda2             857M  607M  207M  75% /
/dev/hda1             125M   16M  103M  14% /boot
/dev/sda6             9.9G  180M  9.2G   2% /log
/dev/sda5             9.9G  1.3G  8.1G  14% /opt
/dev/sda7              32G  566M   30G   2% /pnarchive
none                 1012M     0 1012M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda8             9.9G   34M  9.4G   1% /tmp
/dev/sda9             9.9G  2.5G  6.9G  27% /u01
/dev/sda11            135G   13G  116G  10% /u02
/dev/sda10            9.9G  8.1G  1.3G  87% /u03

Matthew

Thank you again Matthew fro your reply,

i would like to ask you if there is a document talking about the below mentioned folders and what do they mean? each folder names belongs to what?

!

pnadmin]$ model
CS-MARS-25
[pnadmin]$ diskusage
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda2             857M  607M  207M  75% /
/dev/hda1             125M   16M  103M  14% /boot
/dev/sda6             9.9G  180M  9.2G   2% /log
/dev/sda5             9.9G  1.3G  8.1G  14% /opt
/dev/sda7              32G  566M   30G   2% /pnarchive
none                 1012M     0 1012M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda8             9.9G   34M  9.4G   1% /tmp
/dev/sda9             9.9G  2.5G  6.9G  27% /u01
/dev/sda11            135G   13G  116G  10% /u02
/dev/sda10            9.9G  8.1G  1.3G  87% /u03

!

if "/dev/sda11" is related to hard disk size, what about other "/dev"s?

concerning the second point of my previous reply, what could be the reason behind the system erro ocured while trying to create a new rule?

thank you again.

Is it possible if we pull the old syslog or raw messages from the devices whereas CSMARS does not stored the contents in its database?

Thank you Matthew for your reply,

• what i could conclude from the file is that for CS-Mars there is something called "System Log Message EPS" which is i guess a constant value related to the mars model specification, and there is the SDEE EPS that can be calculated through a IME statistics.i am not sure if they mean by IME statistics the connection of cs-mars with syslog server or something else.

also i knew that the IPS/IDS Event Sie is 500 bytes/event.
but i am not able to know what is the current size of CS-Mars HardDisk? and the Current size of the CS-Mars DB?
my CS-mars type is CS-Mars-25.
i maybe noticed that this type has no raid, but could it be without HArdDrive?

the show health info indicates a memory size of 2GB that i think it is the ram size.

note: What is mentioned that the CS-Mars will store up to 1.5MB including any captured packets. (ref. cs_mars_sizing_estimate file page 7/8) what could that means?

• About Creating a rule with certain criteria and add recepient address, while trying to add a rule i faced a
    System error
    Please contact technical support.

Could it be a memory Leak?! or any other thing related to available memory space, because it took long time arroung 15 minutes to generate this issue, and also when connecting on console as ssh2 also facing some lateness.

Sorry about the delay in replying. For the failure, you will need to open a TAC case so that we can track the issue and possibly setup a webex to investigate.

IME is the IPS mgmt tool. I presume that you can get the IPS message rate from IME (thats the implication here).

From the data sheet http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps5739/ps6241/data_sheet_c78-458671.html you can see that the MARS 25 has 250Gb hard disk. Looking at the diskuage output you can see that all of the filesystem sizes added together make approx 250gb. Afaik, only /u02 is the events DB (135gb). I dont find any doc explaining the usage of the other disks, sorry.

The 2gb is the ram (check sysstatus output). I'll try and find out about the 1.5mb storage.

Matthew

learnsec 0,

The 1.5 MB is the limitation of single raw message size. Refer to User Guide (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/security/security_management/cs-mars/6.1/device/configuration/guide/GbkDcnfgd.html) section About Raw Message Size Limitations and Storage Location.

"Before the 5.2.4 release, the storage of raw message data in the local database was restricted to 500 KB
per message. Beginning with 5.2.4, the raw message size is stored in local files that can be up to 1.5 MB
without being truncated."

Regards,

Gintautas

Hello Gantautas,

thank you for your reply.

but what do you mean by truncated?

when raw messages are truncated? and how?

when we say raw messages we do  mean the logs collected from IPS devices right? not the logs of the appliance itself as a device!

learnsec 0,

Truncated refers to a raw message being made smaller. For exaple, if your IPS somehow generates a raw message as large as 1.7 MB the MARS applience would store only 1.5 MB of the message payload. That's how I understand it. Refering to cisco:

"It is important to note that CS-MARS stores only 1.5 MB of data per alarm. If payload data is sent to the CS-MARS, it is displayed in its ASCII format but  could be truncated because of its length."

But it has very little in common speaking about the size of storage.

Regards,

GP

Hello,

Could somone please tell me how much of the storage is required for archiving the day worth MARS-25 data excluding all the storage space required for event information (assuming that there are no reporting devices connected)?

Another question is how much of the internal MARS-25 storage can be filled with event data?

Thanks,

Gintautas