cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do I need the Threat Defense bundle for fail over/ high availability

MichaelGonch
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have a Cisco ASA 5516-x with the Thread Defense license bundle installed on it, the bundle includes FirePOWER,  Advanced Malware Protection (AMP) and Cisco Threat Grid, and URL filtering. I would like to get a second 5516-x appliance so I can run a setup where if one appliance fails the other can continue to provide services. I am not fully familiar with the Cisco world, I will be hiring an engineer to do the work but would like to order the equipment as soon as possible. I would like to know if I need to purchase licenses for the second appliance as well, or for high availability/ fail over I only need the appliance. Appreciate the advice. Thanks!  

3 Replies 3

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

You should purchase the box and the licenses for the secondary ftd as well for amp, url filtering and threat (All same features as your primary)

You don't need to purchase threat grid for the secondary chassis.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco does sell an "bundle" SKU but that only applies when you purchase bot appliances at the same time. It gives you a 50% discount on the licensing for the second appliance.

If you purchase them separately then the second appliance needs to have the same licenses as the primary one.

There is no such thing as a ThreatGrid license for Firepower per se.

I believe he said threatgrid but he purchased threat license.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: