cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Editing ACLs

cmiller
Level 1
Level 1

I've got an ACL that's about 300 lines long. I want to remove the 4th item from the top. I also want to insert 2 entries below line number 7. How do I do this?

3 Replies 3

m.rainer
Level 1
Level 1

Copy - Paste the whole access-list to a text editor, edit it, delete the old access-list on the router and copy the new access-list to the device.

Have a look for the "ip access-group" configured on the interface!

cmiller
Level 1
Level 1

I'm sorry I posted this in the wrong forum. This ment to go in the pix forum. Do I have to do this on a PIX too? I know that's the way it's done on a cisco router... that's the way I've alwasy done it at least... but is the PIX the same way? I figured it would be more devoloped them that.

wolfrikk
Level 3
Level 3

I would do the copy and paste using the text editor as suggested, but what I have done in the past for backup reasons is rename the ACL after you make the changes. This way you can leave the current ACL running until you are ready to switch ACL's. Once both ACL's are on the device, you can change the access-group command to switch to the new ACL. You can leave the old ACL on the device for a few days. If you run into any issues with the new ACL, all you have to do is change access-group command to go back to the old ACL.

I hope that make sense.