Views
Helpful
Replies

Error message in PIX PDM

r.lent
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have suddenly started to get the following error message when trying to run PDM from my PC to our PIX 515e Firewall.

'Your PIX image has a version number of unknown. This version of PDM will only interoperate with versions that start with 6.0 or 6.1. Please update your PIX image so that they are compatible.'

This always worked before but now it does not. No changes to the firewall have been made so what has happened? Has my PIX become corrupted?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Robin.

9 Replies 9

nkhawaja
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

What is the current version on the PIX? Could you please share "show version"

Thanks

Nadeem

Hi Nadeem,

The current PIX version shows as 6.1(4)

Any ideas.

Thanks,

Robin

There are two pieces of software in PIX. One is the Operating Systems, the other is the PDM. You always need the O/S but the PDM is optional. The PDM software is for the GUI. If you do not intend to manage the firewall using the GUI, ie Web browser, you do not even need to install it.

The error message you have means the PDM software is not comparable with the O/S. Since you are running O/S version 6.X , you must install/upgrade the pdm version 2.1 It is available for download from COO.

Hope it has answered your question.

Thanks for your reply.

This does confuse me slightly. I have not upgraded the PIX OS software and the PDM worked fine two weeks ago. What has changed to make the PDM software out of sync with the OS?

I have not changed the OS or the PDM so am really confused.

Robin.

I have seen the same thing in my environment. PDM was working fine then just stopped. I tried reinstalling PDM without any luck. I am running PIX 6.3(3) and PDM 3.01.

Hi

If nothing has been changed on the PIX Firewall, could you check if you did a Windows/Internet Explorer update(assuming your OS to be Windows) on your PC or laptop recently?

This could stop you accessing PDM becuase of the removal of Java VM support on MS Internet Explorer on its latest versions.

Also you can try 'Delete Files' on the 'General' tab of the 'Tools-Internet options' of Internet Explorer before trying to connect to the PDM.

Anoop K Narayanan

NICBM Kuwait

Well, I have tried all of the above. Nothing works.

Looks like I am going to have to go back to the command line interface!!!

robin.

Hi

If you are using MS-Internet Explorer version 5.0 or above, you need to install MS-Virtual Java machine separately.

Download the MS-JVM version 5.00.3805 from this link, install, delete all cookies/files and try. This should work. Try, best of luck.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/jheroen/VM/#ms

Regards

Anoop K Narayanan

I have tried this as well but no luck!!

I used PDM a few weeks back and have not changed the system since then but it just refuses to do anything now!

I am stumped with this one.

Robin.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card