cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ethernet card in 515

wraights
Level 1
Level 1

I want to add a 4-port Ethernet card to my 515 so I can have some DMZ's to stick some webservers on. Does it matter where I get that card from? Do I have to get it from Cisco?

Thank you!

13 Replies 13

travis-dennis_2
Level 7
Level 7

I added a single port Intel Pro100 NIC card w/o an problems. I'm not so sure about adding a four port card(assuming you mean a card with 4 RJ45s connectors) Why would you want to do a 4 port card anyway?

I am going to have 4 webservers and I want them each to be on their own port. I guess I could add a switch or something to one port and have an DMZ that way, but I like having 4 ports too. Either way, you answered my question. Thank you!

Not a prob. I would like some input from someone else though. I have no idea at all if a 4 port card would even work in the 515.

I have another PIX 515 with a 4-port card in it, but I just couldn't find the paperwork on it telling me where I got the card from. That is the maximum that the PIX will handle though. You cannot have any more than that on it (on the 515).

s.conde
Level 1
Level 1

You may need an unrestricted license as well. The restricted permit adding one one-port but I believe not a 4-port. Check which one you have!

Cisco doesn't support third-party cards.

The reason is very simple - by using Cisco parts you can be sure that your firewall will work as it was designed/tested.

More to say, starting from 6.1, PIX OS doesn't recognize non-Cisco gear.

Another point - firewall is one of the most imprtant parts of your network.

You probably need it up and running without any glitches, so there's no practical reason to look for any additional problems that may happen due to hardware/firmware incompatibility.

My personal point of view is simple - saving on matches isn't the best strategy. You can lose more...

Is that the official Cisco line? I am running 6.1(1) on a 515 with an Intel Pro100 Card I got from Compusa. It's been up for about 5 months in my DMZ w/o any problems.

I think you guys are not talking about the same interface card. The PIX 515 four port ethernet interface is a Cisco card. I think the intel card you are talking about is in the server that's direct or in-direct connected to the Cisco PIX which is fine.

Nope. I know for a fact I have an Intel card IN the 515. I spent the better part of an hour trying to get the chasis cover off as it was jammed. Since I was not aware that I should be using a Cisco card I put the Intel card in and it has worked fine. I was not even aware that it should have been a Cisco card until this thread started. Go figure.

very interesting. I don't even know Intel make interface card for Cisco PIX. Cisco will not support it though if you ever run into problems.

It is just a regular NIC card. I have done TAC cases on this as it is the card for my DMZ and the make of the card never came up.

Yes, Cisco cards _are_ based on Intel chipset. Looks like they are actually built by Intel.

At the same time, I don't know _exact_ details but know that they have somewhat different firmware.

I personally saw the situation when Intel EtherExpress 100 stopped working in 515 after the s/w upgrade. It was something like 6.1(smth).

Can't recall the exact version number.

OK, I know that possibly some will disagree with me, but my personal experience tells me that if your're talking _real_ business, there's no place for experiments with firewalls on the production network.

OK..now that makes sense. Guess I'll be buying a Cisco card next week!