Helpful
Replies

ext3 - unexpected inconsistency

tmailula
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team

Does anyone have an ideas what the following error means:

ext3 - unexpected inconsistency, run fsck manually. Use root password for maintenance

Thanks and Regards

Tau Mailula

4 Replies 4

eegilbert
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tau,

ext3 is a filesystem used in Linux operating systems, which is exactly what the MARS platform is.

a fsck is a Unix/Linux command that checks the file system for irregularities, and attempts to fix them.

While MARS may be a Linux system, Cisco chose to make it ``sealed'' from the system administrator. There are good reasons for this for SOX compliance, but it does mean a competent system admin isn't allowed to make changes to the underlying operating system.

You're going to have to call TAC and they will instruct you on how to access the root shell. I've never had to do this, but I believe it involves them having SSH access to your system and you both type in a password that enables the access.

Erric

Hi,

I've got a very similar problem with my MARS 50 running 4.2. This is what appears on the terminal :

----------------------------------------

/dev/md4 Contains a file system with errors , check forced

Error reading block 609550 (attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read) while reading indirect blocks of inode 129287

/dev/md4 unexpected inconsistency: run fsck manually

An error occured during the filesystem check

Dropping you to shell ; the system will reboot when you leave the shell

Give root password for maintenance( or type Control-D for normal startup)

----------------------------------------

After searching NetPro, I've come to the conclusion that my only hope is Cisco TAC or to re-image the appliance.

Joe

It is against Cisco policy to provide root account passwords or maintenance account passwords for appliance model servers like those which run CUCM or UC.

To recover a server file system, you will want to use the corresponding version of the CUCM recovery disk.

Step 1     
Start the system by using the recovery disk

Step 2     
From the recovery CD menu, select f to run file system check.

Step 3     
When the file system check completes, select q to quit the recovery CD.

Step 4     
Eject the CD when prompted.

Step 5     
Reboot the system.

Please check the enhancement defect which has already filed for this issue.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCth73356

This should make things clear.

Sid Chandrachud

TAC security solutions

Customer Support Engineer