cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM proxy arp problem

Neil Preston
Level 1
Level 1

We have a DMZ design with a cisco FWSM being the internal firewall and a cisco PIX 515E the outside firewall. Some hosts running solaris version 8 located on the DMZ are unable to ping each other intermittently, investigation has proved that the internal FWSM module is populating the solaris hosts arp table pretending to be the destination MAC address for hosts residing on the same subnet. The FWSM has even be seen to pretend to be the outside PIX firewall which is the gateway for hosts resding on this DMZ. The hosts IP configuration is correct and the problem has been resolved by disabling proxy arp on the FWSM interface, is this a known issue with the cisco FWSM devices or can anyone explain why this is happenning ?

4 Replies 4

umedryk
Level 5
Level 5

As far as I know, this is not an issue, it is designed that way

Thanks for the response but I don't think Cisco would design a Firewall that pretends to be the destination device for hosts trying to communicate on the same LAN. This would prevent all hosts on the same subnet from talking to each other.

have you considered the proxy arp config of the fwsm?

in other words, the statics, globals, nat 0 statements applicable to the interface in question?

the pix/fwsm will respond to arp requests(proxy arp) based on the above configuration elements. i'd start there. when you disabled proxy arp via sysopt noproxyarp this solved your problem, correct?

We thought disabling proxy arp had resolved the issue, but the problem then happened again a few days later. I did find a bug relevant to my version of code which indicates that disabling proxy arp doesn't work, CSCee40501. We have since discovered that this problem only seems to occur on solaris hosts using IPMP configuration, we have removed the IPMP config from the host and are monitoring to see if this resolves the issue, thus far we have not seen symtoms of the fault for 2 days.