Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM Vlans

apriore685
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All

I have a FWSM in a 6509 that will be protecting internet server. (web,mail,dns, and various other) The 6509 has multiple vlans associated with it. Does the firewall need to know about all these vlans?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

sstudsdahl
Level 4
Level 4

The FWSM will need to know about all the VLAN's that it will be protecting resources on. It will also need to know about the VLAN that you are associating to the outside interface of the FWSM.

If you have other VLAN's on the 6509 that routing is provided by the MSFC, the FWSM doesn't need to know about them. The exception to this being if the FWSM sits in front of your MSFC, you will need to make the FWSM aware of the additional networks behind the MSFC.

So if my FWSM is associated to the "outside" vlan than it will not need to know about an other? All server that I will need to protect will be address with a legal ip address and the outside of the firewall also will be in the same subnet. I created a vlan on the sup720 for the outside vlan and assigned it an ip address and made it the default gateway of the firewall.