cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure the syslog format for Cisco mars?

ssweehinlew
Level 1
Level 1

May I know how to configure the syslog format for Cisco mars to display certain column for log fie from other network devices?  Thanks for the prompt reply.

28 Replies 28

Scott Fringer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am not clear on the outcome you are requesting assistance in implementing.  In most instances, CS-MARS simply presents the raw syslog message as received from the reporting in the output of any query with with a result format of "All Matching Event Raw Messages".

If you are asking how to format a reporting devices syslog messages to be successfully received and parsed by CS-MARS, there are two possibilities:

- select the correct device/software details when adding the device to the CS-MARS "Security and Monitor Device List"; this ensure CS-MARS will correctly parse the received syslog message.  This is covered in the Configuration Guide for CS-MARS release 6.0:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/security_management/cs-mars/6.0/device/configuration/guide/GbkDcgMars.html

- use the Device Support Framework to create a custom parser for a device not natively supported by CS-MARS.  This is covered in the User Gudie for CS-MARS release 6.0:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/security_management/cs-mars/6.0/user/guide/combo/cfgCustm.html

Scott

Thank for your user guide. May I know how to extract the detailed message (raw data) according to the incident ID?

If you click the Incident ID you should be brought to a view of the rule (at the top) that triggered the incident along with the session data (at the bottom) that matched the rule.  Within this event data, you should see the name of the device that provided the event.  Next to/under the device name should be an icon of a page with '0101' across it.  If you click this page, a pop-up window should open that displays the raw message that was received from the reporting device.

Scott

I follow the steps on the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/security_management/cs-mars/6.0/user/guide/combo/cfgCustm.html

under content: Create Device Event Types for a Custom Device Type

I still cannot see the raw data message. Do i need to map the template to the IP address for the device?

After step 9, Once the log template is defined and submitted, you must define a reporting device based on the custom device.

How to define a reporting device based on the custom device?

You need to add a reporting device to CS-MARS as usual; navigate to:

ADMIN>System Setup>Security and Monitor Devices

Click Add

In the "Device Type:" drop-down list, choose your newly created custom device.  If the device you created is a software-based device, you will first need to choose one of the two options "Add SW security apps on new host" or "Add SW security apps on exiting host".  The full process is outlined here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/security_management/cs-mars/6.0/device/configuration/guide/chDvcOver.html

Scott

Hi,

If that device is the existing device, can i create a new device with same IP and apply that template that i create to that new device?

You will need to delete the existing device and create a new device if

the device type changes.

Scott

Need your help here again. How to monitor those inactive cs-mars reporting device? Is there any function need to be activated?

As long as the devices are configured in 'Security and Monitor Devices, CS-MARS will monitor for inactivity (no events received in the previous one hour period).

Scott

The devices are configured in 'Security and Monitor Devices.If there is no events received in the previous one hour period ( The following device has not reported events to MARS in 3600 seconds.), it should not reflect as an incident. It is not considered as a problem. Am i right to say that?

CS-MARS should create a green severity incident titled,"Inactive CS-MARS

reporting device" for all configured Security and Monitor devices from

which it has not received any raw messages in the previous one hour period.

Scott

I have 1 network device which usually will trigger the red incident to the Cisco Mars. Suddenly, it doesn't send out any syslogs to Cisco Mars anymore. There is no changes on the whole network and the Cisco Mars is still able to discover this device by sending the snmp traffic. What could be the reason to cause it happen and any settings is configured wrongly on Cisco Mars?

If there are no events arriving at the CS-MARS, the issue may be with

the reporting device. You will need to confirm that the device is

sending the expected events to the CS-MARS.

This can normally be monitored from the CS-MARS CLI using tcpdump:

$ tcpdump host

You should see output of events arriving from the device. If there are

no events arriving, the issue is with the reporting device. If you see

events arriving at the CS-MARS, the issue is with the CS-MARS. Further

troubleshooting would most likely require a service request be opened

with TAC.

Scott

To prevent the loss of configuration after rebooting the cisco mars, may i know know is there any commands to save the configuration from putty session?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: