Views
Helpful
Replies

ICMP Requests Attack.

v.ram
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have an issue in our network. It was observed that our NMS workstation generating lots of ICMP request traffic to a remote network. First, we thought it might be associated with the polling. When we analysed using a Network Analyser, and found the interval between ICMP requests are sub-second (microseconds). Trace attached. We suspect it to be a ICMP Requests attack. But,we did unsuccessful scan of the NMS pc and found no virus/worms.

I believe many would have come across the current problem I am facing. I need to confirm the type of attack, how to detect and mitigate the same.

Note: 60% of the trace were repititions, hence deleted.

Thanks,

VJ

5 Replies 5

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

would suggest to block 92byte icmp traffic which is being generated by Nachi worm..

also find the link to mitigate the same..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_security_notice09186a00801b143a.html

hope this helps...

regds

Hi,

Though the URL provided direction, it wasn't matching my scenario. There were no traces of Nimda worm in the system although the ICMP packets b/w the same source and destinations with 92 bytes. My intention was to provide a fix at the system level rather than limiting at router interface.

Thanks

VJ

techanony
Level 1
Level 1

Before you draw the conclusion that it was the NMS workstation that sent a lot of ICMP requests, you may need to run a sniffer directly on it or check its ICMP protocol statistics to make sure it's not the case that other machine spoofed source IP and/or MAC addresses and were sending out those ICMP packets.

Just my two cents.

Hi,

Thats a nice direction. Could you pls eloborate how can the source ip be spoofed and start attack.

Rgds,

Vj

There are lots of security tools that are capable of doing this. For example, the hping tool with "-a" option.

If you want to craft ip packets in your own particular way and inject them into the network, there is a library called libnet.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: