cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Internet connection problems

jcpub
Level 1
Level 1

We have an occasional problem with our Interbet connection which uses a cable modem. Although the modem lights show all is well, we sometimes get error messages when sending/receiving email and/or accessing web sites. Using puing and tracert for www.yahoo.com shows a series of Time Outs during the period when our email/web site problems occur. The cable company gave us a newer modem and ran new cables from a closer pole. The problem still occurs. Now they say it might be our firewall [PIX 501]. I got the IP address for the 501 from the company that installed our system and ping always works fine for that. They also checked somethings in the PIX logs and could not find a problem. Applications that go through the network also work all right. The other strange thing is one person can be having problems for several minutes while someone else has no difficulties at all. The cable company suggested that I connect a computer directly to the modem. I did that on a Sunday, making sure the computer had updated anti-virus definitions, XP firewall configured, and all XP security updates installed. During a period of several hours, the problems did not appear either with the direct connection nor going through the network and the PIX 501.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

3 Replies 3

jmia
Level 7
Level 7

Q. What licence feature have you got for your PIX 501? Issue cmd: sho ver on your PIX and it will display the licence detail.

Jay

I do not know how to get that information. Our server and related equipment was set up by a local computer systems person and we never got into accessing the PIX 501. Can you tell me how to get the information you requested?

Thank you.

The problem here is that if you can't access the pix then you can't get the pix version. Try contacting the people who setup your system for information on how to access your pix, i.e. passwords etc. Can you telnet onto your pix, i.e. to the inside interface IP address of the pix? Have you got a console cable for your pix?

The reason I wanted to know the version/licence of your pix 501 is that the 501 comes in either 10 user licence, 50 user licence or unlimited user licence. And from your problem description, it seems to me that you may have a user licence issue, i.e. your pix might be a 10 or 50 user licence version.

How many users do you have on you inside LAN? More than 10 or more than 50??

Jay