cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

ip arp inspection validate

Hello all,

With "ip arp inspection vlan X" you enable Dynamic ARP inspection that determines the validity of an ARP packet based on valid IP-to-MAC address bindings stored in a trusted database, the DHCP snooping.

My problem Is that I don´t undestand the command "ip arp inspection validate" everywere says that is for additional validation of src-mac, dst-mac and ip.

But "ip arp inspection vlan X" is already validating IP and MAC addres so, what is de difference?

Thank you for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Collaborator

Re: ip arp inspection validate

Hi, Instead of just matching mac/ip to a database, ip arp inspection does further validation by checking that the data in the arp packet is valid i.e check that the destination mac in the arp packet matches destination mac in the ethernet header, check that the source mac in the arp packet matches ethernet header or check that the ip address in the arp packet is valid. Have a look at the "performing validation checks" section of the doc cited below https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/3750xscg/swdynarp.html#20307 thanks John
**Please rate posts you find helpful**

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Collaborator

Re: ip arp inspection validate

Hi, Instead of just matching mac/ip to a database, ip arp inspection does further validation by checking that the data in the arp packet is valid i.e check that the destination mac in the arp packet matches destination mac in the ethernet header, check that the source mac in the arp packet matches ethernet header or check that the ip address in the arp packet is valid. Have a look at the "performing validation checks" section of the doc cited below https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/3750xscg/swdynarp.html#20307 thanks John
**Please rate posts you find helpful**

View solution in original post