Views
Helpful
Replies

Ironport Cluster

sheltonjd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm aware this is not the correct section to log this question. But I have two IronPort ESA C160 devices and would like to cluster them for redundancy. My question is:

When the devices are clustered, is there a cluster IP address (not an interface on either device) which is created which emails from Exchange can be routed to? Since only 1 of the 2 devices will be active at any given time, how can Exchange distingiush which Ironport device to route to?

I read a post where a user wanted to know how to upgrade a machine in a cluster and he stated that he had a cluster IP address. I'm not sure where this is as I haven't seen anything about this during the cluster creation.

Any assistance would be greatly appriciated.

Cheers,

Shelton

2 Replies 2

oosthpa123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

IronPort Clusters are not the same as for example Microsoft Clusters i.e. does not have a shared cluster address.  The easiest way to do this is to use a load balancer (for example Cisco ACE) and let the load balancer take care of it.  Point the Exchange servers at a load balanced address configured on the load balancer.

Regards

Paul

dcsdecross
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 Ironports in my cluster, each in a different locations.  What I did was create 2 seperate connectors, each with a different cost that way if one connector is not available the other connector will work.  Exchange uses the connector IP address to send mail.

Dave