Views
Helpful
Replies

Ironport Cluster

sheltonjd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm aware this is not the correct section to log this question. But I have two IronPort ESA C160 devices and would like to cluster them for redundancy. My question is:

When the devices are clustered, is there a cluster IP address (not an interface on either device) which is created which emails from Exchange can be routed to? Since only 1 of the 2 devices will be active at any given time, how can Exchange distingiush which Ironport device to route to?

I read a post where a user wanted to know how to upgrade a machine in a cluster and he stated that he had a cluster IP address. I'm not sure where this is as I haven't seen anything about this during the cluster creation.

Any assistance would be greatly appriciated.

Cheers,

Shelton

2 Replies 2

oosthpa123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

IronPort Clusters are not the same as for example Microsoft Clusters i.e. does not have a shared cluster address.  The easiest way to do this is to use a load balancer (for example Cisco ACE) and let the load balancer take care of it.  Point the Exchange servers at a load balanced address configured on the load balancer.

Regards

Paul

dcsdecross
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 Ironports in my cluster, each in a different locations.  What I did was create 2 seperate connectors, each with a different cost that way if one connector is not available the other connector will work.  Exchange uses the connector IP address to send mail.

Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: