cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Java 1.3.1 and CIscoview

emusican
Level 1
Level 1

I am unable to get to Ciscoview and many other applications in the CW2000 package. Whenever I tryto access these pages I get:

This page contains information of a type (application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.3.1) that can only be viewed with the appropriate Plug-in. Click OK to download Plugin.

I clicked OK, downloaded what it said I needed, set all the paths that needed to be set, and still came up with the same error. VMS2.2, Using Solaris 8, Netscape 4.76.

10 Replies 10

astuckey
Level 1
Level 1

I never got it to work either.

Well, I got it to work but only from a win2000 machine. It refuses to work on Sol8 Netscape 4.76, which is kinda bad.

You've probably done this already, but type "java -version " on your solaris box and verify the default is 1.3.1. I had a similar problem with Tomcat and needed to remove the link from /usr/bin/ and relink to the proper directory

rmerritt
Level 1
Level 1

I don't know if this will work because I do not use Netscape. I had several versions of JAVA on my system and experienced similar problem. I deleted all except 1.3.1 and it worked correctly. This is with an XP running IE 6.

rsalinas
Level 1
Level 1

For Solaris 8 use Netscape 7.0. It has the java plug-in support built-in and works just fine.

ezeigler
Level 1
Level 1

You can have multiple Java versions loaded on the workstation, in this case 1.3.1 needs to be the first in the path statement. Or remove all local Java apps. Check the path statements, ensure the reference to Java is removed(this does not happen when Windows removes the applet:>)). Connect to CW2K again and accept the 1.3.1 stuff..... It works...and mark this machine for use with CiscoWorks only!!!!

We removed all of the Java plugins and installed 1.3.1 only. This solved most of the problems, now we are left with one major one: Event Viewer will not open. When you click the "Start Event Viewer" all you get is a blank grey-brown blank applet. I get the same results on IE6 SP1 on multiple Windows machines, as well as Netscape 4.76 on the Solaris server itself. It cant just be the java settings on the server, because outside Windows machines do not depend on the server for its java....or do they?

In any case its been 2 weeks since Ive installed CW and have yet to see the Event Viewer work.

Im going to try to load Netscape 7 on my server as suggested and see what that does. When I loaded Netscape 7.1 on my Windows machine CW did not recognize the browser, so Im not sure if this will work.

Remove all your java plugins and browse to your CW. You will be prompted to install java, accept the certificate. I do beleive cisco does not recommend using CW and IEV to manage same device. 1.3.1_02 does not work well on CW.

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

After the installation of the plugin, check if your browser correctly recognizes the plugin by clicking on "Help" in your browser and then choose "About Plug-ins" . If it is installed correctly it is listed there and its status for enabled is set to "yes".

If this is not the case open a terminal session, source the file where your Java variables are set and then open your browser from this terminal session. Check again the plugin settings. Now they should be correct and you can test the functionality of your software.

As it turns out, the problem was not java related. Apparently Cisco Works IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH TCP_WRAPPERS. Would have been nice to know beforehand...

This fixed the problem on the windows machines (browser) but not on our UNIX machines (Sunblade2000's). Netscape 4.76 still shows a blank applet, whicle IE6 SP1 is able to display it fine.