Views
Helpful
Replies

kiwi syslog deamon

matthew.bauer
Level 1
Level 1

hey everyone,

I have been thinking about making a win 2000 machine a syslog server. I have heard of kiwi software, I was just wondering if you guys have had any experience with it both pro or con.

Thanks

mjb

6 Replies 6

0rsnaric
Level 1
Level 1

Been using Kiwi for about 4 years now. A lot better than Cisco's PSS. Lots of customization, and the output is clean and easy to read. And best of all, it's freeware.

~rls

Never heard about Cisco PSS. Any ideas around please forward.

Thx

da'

Sorry, that's PFSS, Pix Firewall Syslog Server. You can download it from the software center.

~rls

stownsend
Level 2
Level 2

I've been using it for several months now. I did a bit of research before I installed it here and I found that most people with Cisco are using it.

I've also installed D-Shield on the same machine and it sends reports back to D-Shields server about the hack attempts and then sends emails to the Abuse/Security address for the Owners of the originating domain/IP subnet.

We Log our Data to a SQL Server so we can Query it when ever we like. The SQL Server We have a Scheduled task so to cleans up the log table and keeps the last X days of log.

Scott<-

to get the sql functionality, do you not have to get the full blown version, not just the freeware?

thanks

matt

You do, but it's not that expensive. I think it was around $60-70. Plus, it makes for all sorts of fun SQL projects. . .

-gabe