Helpful
Replies

Licence

bdeandrade
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I don't know if I am in the correct category but here my question:

I bought a cisco 2960X-48TS-L and I would like to know if I need to active a licence ?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No you do not.

Reference: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-2960-x-series-switches/qa_c67-728348.html

Q.     Do I need a software license for the Cisco Catalyst 2960-X Series Switches?
A.     No. Cisco Catalyst 2960-X Series Switches use the Universal image, but no license is required. The feature set is bound to the hardware model type and cannot be changed. For convenience, a single software image is used for all Cisco Catalyst 2960-X switches, regardless of whether they are IP Lite, LAN Base, or LAN Lite models.
Q.     Can a Cisco Catalyst 2960-X Series Switch feature set license be upgraded?
A.     No. The feature set is bound to the hardware model. To get the features and capabilities of IP Lite, you must purchase an IP Lite switch.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No you do not.

Reference: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-2960-x-series-switches/qa_c67-728348.html

Q.     Do I need a software license for the Cisco Catalyst 2960-X Series Switches?
A.     No. Cisco Catalyst 2960-X Series Switches use the Universal image, but no license is required. The feature set is bound to the hardware model type and cannot be changed. For convenience, a single software image is used for all Cisco Catalyst 2960-X switches, regardless of whether they are IP Lite, LAN Base, or LAN Lite models.
Q.     Can a Cisco Catalyst 2960-X Series Switch feature set license be upgraded?
A.     No. The feature set is bound to the hardware model. To get the features and capabilities of IP Lite, you must purchase an IP Lite switch.

Thanks for your help :)

FYI - apparently there are a BUNCH of 2960X switches in the field that are missing their built in licenses.  This is about the 4th one we have received - new in the box units.  Error typically shows up after installing a current IOS (15.2-4.E7 in this case).  New IOS installed, old not over-written.  Switch will error out even if you roll back to the version on switch as delivered.

Mar 1 00:00:55.686: Read env variable - LICENSE_BOOT_LEVEL =
*Jan 2 00:00:00.076: %IOS_LICENSE_IMAGE_APPLICATION-6-LICENSE_LEVEL: Module name = c2960x_lanbase Next reboot level = lanbase and License = No valid license found
Feb 26 19:57:28.174: Flexstack module is 1
Feb 26 19:58:27.877: %ILET-1-AUTHENTICATION_FAIL: This Switch may not have been manufactured by Cisco or with Cisco's authorization. This product may contain software that was copied in violation of Cisco's license terms. If your use of this product is the cause of a support issue, Cisco may deny operation of the product, support under your warranty or under a Cisco technical support program such as Smartnet. Please contact Cisco's Technical Assistance Center for more information.

Switch#sho license
Index 1 Feature: lanlite
Period left: 0 minute 0 second
Index 2 Feature: lanbase
Period left: 0 minute 0 second

Note - good luck with TAC on these problems.  Switches carry a lifetime warranty to original purchaser but you have to dog the hell out of Cisco to get it honored.  We typically call the vendor about it, much quicker and easier to have them ship a replacement.

Recommend just checking that the device is in fact a valid Cisco device, not saying that it isn't, but you'll be able to tell whether TAC will assist you or not based on the serial being recognised in this tool https://cway.cisco.com/sncheck/

We buy from a certified supplier, devices are not counterfeit.  I have asked our supplier to have their engineers load 15.2-4.E7 in their lab prior to sending me a switch and guess what - they haven't been able to ship me a working switch in over 2 months.  They owe me a 48-TD and I'm still waiting.  This issue also prevents me from upgrading any existing switching because I can't afford to chance bringing down an entire building, then spend 10 days arguing with TAC for replacements.  I have to build a stock of known good units, which chews up budget quick.

Update - I received this msg today from my vendor - 

"WE HAVE A WINNER!!! Looks like switches built after 2018 are having better luck. I will get this shipped out asap."  

Switch was ordered in February.  I have 20 switches installed running older versions - the most I could lose at one time is a stack of 3.  That's about $7500 in equipment I need to have sitting around "just in case".  

In that case, maybe it'd help being able to identify the year of manufacture from the serial:
Cisco S/N format is LLLYYWWXXXX.
LLL = Location code (i.e. FOC = FoxConn China)
YY = Year code (08 = 2004...09=2005...etc...)
WW = Week code (weeks 01 to 52)
XXXX = Base-34 Alpha Numeric Unique identifier (Includes 0 to 9 & entire alphabet except I & O).

Year codes:
01 = 1997
02 = 1998

22 = 2018

Thanks.  Quick survey shows most of the 48-TDs are 2017, 48-TDL, 2016.  But the ones I looked at have been in service well over a year so they were "new" at the time of install.  

Now - the three replacements from TAC for the building that was killed with an update to E7 show dates of 2015 and 2014.  (FOC18, FOC19)  Those were placed in service here back in Jan 2019.  So - IMHO, YOM isn't going to be a reliable indicator of potential failures.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card