cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MAC OS 10.4 (Tiger) and Cisco VPN client

baodam
Level 1
Level 1

MAC OS 10.4 comming out soon and will break the Cico VPN client. We had a chance to test it and the Cico client can't even load. This is confirmed by Apple people. Has Cisco come up with a fix for it yet? or we will have to tell the users not upgrade to OSX.4

BD

45 Replies 45

umedryk
Level 5
Level 5

You can check with the release notes at cisco documentation www.cisco.com/univercd

The problem is, Mac OS X Tiger implements a new Kernel. And the Cisco VPN kernel module does not load...

Starting Cisco Systems VPN Driver

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/CiscoVPN.kext appears to be valid

kld(): Undefined symbols:

__FREE

__MALLOC

_apple_hwcksum_rx

_apple_hwcksum_tx

_dlil_attach_interface_filter

_dlil_detach_filter

_dlil_inject_if_input

_dlil_inject_if_output

_ifnet

_ifunit

_log

_m_copy_pkthdr

_m_copydata

_m_free

_m_freem

_m_gethdr

_m_mclget

_network_flock

_soclose

_socreate

_soreceive

_timeout

_tvtohz

_untimeout

kextload: kld_load_from_memory() failed for module /System/Library/Extensions/CiscoVPN.kext/Contents/MacOS/CiscoVPN

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/CiscoVPN.kext

load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/CiscoVPN.kext

(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

So what exactly is the documentation in http://www.cisco.com/univercd supposed to say?

Is the CiscoVPN.kext source available? Because then we can rebuild the module based on this kernel and it would load just fine - no need for a new client.

I'm not sure such a measure is addressed in the documentation, though I may be wrong, as it has been a while since I read the documentation.

Thanks.

Hi.

Does anyone have any updates on this? Official word from Cisco about updating the VPN client? Has anyone talked to Cisco tech support? I use 4.6.02 on an eMac to connect to work. I'm planning on putting in Tiger this weekend and would like to know if there's something in the works to get VPN working on it.

Thanks,

David

Yeah, I just get:

=====

Error 51: IPC socket allocation failed with error ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ch.

This is most likely due to the Cisco Systems's, Inc.VPN Service not being started. Please start this service and try again.

=====

I have two brand new machines I'm going to have to burn a day erasing and installing Panther.

Yes, this is a kernel extension/kernel module problem.

The new Tiger kernel will not load the 10.3.x based Cisco VPN kext.

If someone has, can share, or can coax Cisco into releasing the kernel extension source code - we would not be having this discussion.

Viva la open source.

did you ever get a resolution to this problem? i'm on tiger as well and just installed the new cisco client for mac osx 4.6. still getting the same error 51 on starting the application?

I actually downloaded and installed the latest Cisco VPN client for Mac OS X last night.

It worked flawlessly for me and I did not run into any errors whatsoever.

I am surprised that you are still running into 51/IPC Errors.

I think the client I am using was release about the middle of June, make sure you have the latest one (though you probably already do).

Other than this, I'm not sure how else to assist.

-Lewis

cmorrissey
Level 1
Level 1

I was told by TAC that the client would be out on 5/13.

Sorry to be an idiot but I'm not very computer savvy. How will I know when the problem is sorted - where do I look? I presume I will need to download a patch but where would I find that patch? Any help appreciated!

I gues you have to look at this message board now and then. Even Imtech in the Netherlands did not gave me an answer yet about the problem. I gues Cisco likes MS more.

Has Cisco confirmed this date, for tomorrow? It is incredible to me that there is nowhere to find any official information on the status of this issue. I have been searching everywhere for something from Cisco. This is a very significant issue.

I'd have to agree with Cyberjack17. It would be nice to see a section within cisco's support site that talks about work in progress - espcially when there's a problem for OS X users of this nature. Although from the number of posts about it here, it doesn't appear to be very significant, there's a lot of talk about this problem on apple's discussion group.

Curious to see how much of a problem this is? Look on apples discussion group under Tiger and do a search for cisco...

Can't wait for the vpn client (only thing stopping me from upgrading to Tiger!) I haven't done it yet as there's not much point in introducing a new OS if you know right away that it will cripple your mobile work force...

Once that vpn client appears we'll start testing Tiger and hopefully roll it out to our agency within a couple of months.

Simon

mcphail2k
Level 1
Level 1

The new client is out, I'm running it on my Powerbook with 10.4.

Can anyone else verify a kernel panic when connecting to an afp server?

Where did you get it? Is ipsec over tcp still working?

RS

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: