cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MAC OS 10.4 (Tiger) and Cisco VPN client

baodam
Level 1
Level 1

MAC OS 10.4 comming out soon and will break the Cico VPN client. We had a chance to test it and the Cico client can't even load. This is confirmed by Apple people. Has Cisco come up with a fix for it yet? or we will have to tell the users not upgrade to OSX.4

BD

45 Replies 45

OK, now I have the new client, what is the right way to do it. First upgrade the client? If I start the installation it tels me it will work on mac os x 10.2 or later. Ten upgrade to Tiger? Or first do the upgrade an then install the new client over the already installed client.

RS

OK, now I have the new client, what is the right way to do it. First upgrade the client? If I start the installation it tels me it will work on mac os x 10.2 or later. Ten upgrade to Tiger? Or first do the upgrade an then install the new client over the already installed client.

RS

OK, now I have th enew client what is the right way to do it. First upgrade the client? If I start the installation it telss me it will work on mac os x 10.2 or later. Ten upgrade to Tiger? Or first do the upgrade an then install the new client over the already installed client.

RS

Works perfectly for me on Mac OS 10.4 (and now 10.4.1). But in my case, I only use it for Citrix ICA Client access to the office, use RSA SecurID, no certificates.

If you install it on Mac OS earlier than 10.4, you need to uninstall and reinstall VPN Client again after upgrading to 10.4 (otherwise it crashes upon launching).

Odd thing about the installer, it applied random owner user id to files in and under /etc/CiscoSystemsVPNClient/ but that didn't interfere with running in my case.

It works now on my G4 Powerbook with 10.4.1 without problems. Only sometimes, after the machines wakes up, the cient gives an "error 51 IPC socket allocation failed" normaly this is a message when ther is no netwerk interface connected.

A shell script with:

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/CiscoVPN.kext

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/CiscoVPN.kext

Will solve the problem.

RS

It doesn't work for my G4 Powerbook with 10.4.1 I get the same Error 51 Socket allocation failed...

What's weird, is that if I connect using Apple's Internet Connect, Then I can connect with the Cisco client.

Of course, If I could connect with the Apple Internet Connect, then I wouldn't need Cisco's VPN client. But I cannot connect with Apple's Internet Connect unless I am within the building's firewall!

And if I am within the firewall, then I don't need either client as I can connect direct.

Kori Lessing

Ohio State University

There is something wrong with loading of te vpn module.

I made a shell file like this:

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/CiscoVPN.kext

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/CiscoVPN.kext

exit

It gives the vpn module a fresh start and it helps for me. Hope Cisco will hurry a bit with a solution.

RS

ccaajcl
Level 1
Level 1

No luck with a brand new mac mini with tiger bought for testing purposes here. Connects, authenticates, says connected, but no tunnel, ip address etc, and have to force quit client.

Since no progress seems to be occuring here, theres some activity on the thread at apple: 128@845.Lasoaw5fVgd.3@.68af75ea')">http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?128@845.Lasoaw5fVgd.3@.68af75ea with regards to this.

yeah... no news on my case yet either.

As I said, will post if I hear any news.

For what it's worth, I being told that a) Cisco is aware of the 'fake-connect' problem and is working on it and b) a Dual-CPU client is about 2 months away. The latter I took offense at as this would cripple all our pro machines, but they did say this was a conservative number.......

I filled in the Default Domain Name field under Client Config on the vpn concentrator and everything worked fine after that.

Corey

Thanks, this fixed it for me, we did not have one defined and once this was filled it, the client now works and I can establish a tunnel.

That fixed it for me too. Thanks a lot!

Anyone knows about the disconnect issue (where you have to “force quit” to kill the VPN client)

Marcelo

Correction, still having some problems.

Filling the Default Domain in Client Config really seems to be working, still having some strange problems.

It looks like UDP tunneling is working TCP not.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: