Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast Configuration for Symantec Ghost

alangunnsteel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone:

I am having problems correctly configuring my PIX to support the multicast traffic required by Symantec Ghost Console.

My intended Symantec Ghost Console functionality:

Ghost is used to manage/refresh Windows 2000 computers in Hotel Business Center and Lobby*

Ghost Console Server = internal network, member of internal Domain

Ghost Target Workstations = DMZ network, members of "Public" workgroup

* These computers are used to access the Internet and perform local computing functions. They have no access to the "internal" network.

My configuration:

Ghost Console server:

IP = 192.168.0.18

Default Gateway = 192.168.0.75 (PIX Inside interface)

Workgroup\Domain = SJH Domain

PIX Interface = Inside

Ghost Target Workstation:

IP = 192.168.2.31

Default Gateway = 192.168.2.1 (PIX DMZ interface)

Workgroup\Domain = SJHPublic Workgroup

PIX Interface = DMZ

PIX, multicast-related configuration:

multicast interface dmz

forward interface inside

multicast interface inside

mroute 192.168.0.18 255.255.255.255 inside 229.55.150.208 255.255.255.255 dmz

The problem is that, alothough the Ghost Client installs correctly, the client is not "visible" to the Ghost Console -- even though I can open up Windows shares on DMZ workstation from the Console server. Symantec has answered a question similar to mine as follows: "If the Ghost Console and Ghost Clients aren't able to communicate with one another across the WAN, then some network device

is blocking the connection. If you are unable to determine which device is filtering multicast ..."

Does my PIX multicast configuration appear to be correct?

I'm going to throw this question at Symentc as well.

Thanks to all for you input,

Alan

1 Reply 1

umedryk
Level 5
Level 5

As far as I know, there is some minimum PIX OS version required for pix to work with Multicast, I am not sure if it is 6.1 or 6.2, you could check that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: