cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple server interfaces to one outside IP

ethutchinson
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 2003 server with 3 nics(No Routing). Each one connected to a separate Class c subnet. One of the interfaces gets a static translation to an outside IP connected to my PIX 520 running ver 6.2.2.I need the other two interfaces to translate to the same ip the first is using. The server is an SMTP gateway and I am trying to balance the load between the subnets. However when I enable a second interface it blows the translation away and all emails go through my Global nat for internet access which causes all kinds of headaches with external spam blockers like ordb, etc. Is it possible to have all three interfaces translate to the one external IP that owns the MX record. I found policy natting but I am not sure how to do this.

1 Reply 1

mostiguy
Level 6
Level 6

The pix is not a load balancer, it cannot do this. Why do you think one 100 megabit ethernet interface is not enough for smtp traffic - that is capacity for a ton of mail. Even if you did need multiple interfaces, the clients should be able to access them via the internal ip addresses, not the outside ones

Why do you have problems with ordb? Is any of your address space listed in DNSBLs, or do you have problems because of a lack of reverse dns?