cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network design case study

sanjay312
Level 1
Level 1

I am Msc. computer network student and i have been given an assignment to prepare a network with around 20 clients. This network should have internet as well as intranet connection. The network should be designed using layered apporach. The network should also be protected using firewall and IDS. This network should be designed using new technolgies with critical analysis.

I will really appreaciate if somebody can help me in this matter with case studies.

regards

sanjay

5 Replies 5

steve.barlow
Level 7
Level 7

First place to look would be Cisco's SAFE blueprints. Here is a link for the small networks: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns110/ns129/ns131/ns128/networking_solutions_implementation_white_paper09186a008009c8a0.shtml

For more SAFE blueprints see: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns110/ns170/ns171/ns128/networking_solutions_package.html

You could use network as well as host based IDS plus the firewall. To help analysize the logs of the devices you could use the Network Intelligence (NIE) log consolidation appliance.

Hope it helps.

Steve

Thank You Steve for your guidance.

I have studied the following case studies as per your guidance but i am looking for real network scenarios and i am having difficulty in desigining it.

I will really appreciate if you can provide me with real network cenarios.

Once again thank you for your help.

sanjay

this might be tremendous over-kill, however, try http://www.eecostructure.com/index.html

this might be of some help. i know that you are only talking about 20 clients, but what we don't know is what your environment will be doing. just clients access the internet? are you hosting any site, apps? like i said, this might not be what you are looking for, but this will give you a idea (if you download the pdfs) on how new technologies are being used in hosted environments.

these are very nice "blueprints" to start a hosting environment.

additional information for you can never hurt, and i hope this helps somewhat!

One last thing....try www.giac.org

these are the www.sans.org certs. search over the giac website and find the students written exams (on all the certs). they give great real-world scenarios on how to design some infrastructures. if you need help finding them, let me know and i will find the exact place on the giac website for what i am talking about.

Hi pelphrey,

Your guidance has really helped me a lot. The website reference has been very useful in desinging the network.

Once again thanking you.

regards

sanjay

Hi Pelphrey,

I could not find real world senrio     www.giac.org

these are the www.sans.org certs.  search over the giac website and find the students written exams (on all the certs).  "

Can you please help me in finding some senerio, that will be great.

Many thanks

Nisha

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: