cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Newbie question on multiple LANs

jdwyer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I am VERY new to Cisco and was looking to achieve something that sounds a little similar to some of the threads I have read here.

I want to be able to share 1 ADSL connection to two totally separate LAN's which are in the same building, cabling of course is not an issue.

My question is really, which router would allow me to achieve this? I have done quite a lot of reading but am still unsure whether or not I would need two LAN interfaces, and if so which router has two interfaces and 1 ADSL wan interface.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

(Buttoning up flame proof jacket)

Regards

Jason Dwyer

4 Replies 4

grinch
Level 1
Level 1

Try a 2621 w/ a WIC-1ADSL.

grinch
Level 1
Level 1

Oops..didn't read the whole question. You can use one LAN interface if you want. Just setup the second network as a "secondary" network. Turning on "ip route-cache same-interface" will help the cpu deal with one-armed routing. You can use a 1700 with this config. If you want to have two separate filters (ACLs), then you'll need two interfaces.

Thanks very much for your reply.

If I may follow on from that, if I purchase a 1700 with an ADSL WAN interface, is there any specific software I need to purchase to make this work, or is it just hours of reading docos and learning how to configure it all?

Can you comment on what the major benefits/drawbacks would be of not having 2 ACLs?

I also assume that I would need a separate firewall behind the router?

Sorry for all the q's.

Thanks

Jason Dwyer

I don't think you need any special software unless you want to move something other than IP. Personally, I haven't setup the DSL module, but I'm sure there isn't anything special for it. As for the ACLS, you don't really need another firewall if you configure them properly. One ACL vs. two? Well, do the LAN segments have two different security profiles? If not, then don't worry about it. I'm assuming both LANs are built on the same switches and hubs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: