cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Other VPN issues for Discussion

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

What are the issues you are facing with your use of VPN? What VPN issues would you like to discuss on the Networking Professionals Connection?

Please let us know by posting your comments to this conversation.

Thank you for visiting the Cisco Networking Professionals Connection.

Cisco Moderator

37 Replies 37

pderover
Level 1
Level 1

I have setup a vpn between to sites fourty miles apart using Microsoft vpn and a DSL (netopia dsl router) line which connects into NT server. Without the vpn the DSL router seems to work fine, but when I use the vpn, somehow either the connection fails, computer crashes, and/or the router crashes. I have called Concentric and they couldn't offer any assistance neither could the Microsoft KB. What is causing the mayhem?

Your problem may have to do with the router's capabilities. As I'm sure you're aware encryption is very demanding on the router. I'm guessing your trying to use the router the DSL provider gave you in the package deal. I'd suggest trying the Cisco 1700. That is what we use and it handles both our VPN and normal quite well. I know it can handle PPTP but we use IPSEC.

Good Luck

Have attempted to use a Netopia ourselves. Was located in France and tech support was almost non-existent. Netopia web site indicated that everything was to be supported and passed by the router but it was very version specific requiring the latest version. Our final solution was to have ISP replace with a more suitable piece of equipment (Cisco), then replaced the ISP.

cootermatata
Level 1
Level 1

I have a client with a DSL line with a Cisco 675 router. They would like to be able to VPN into their NT Server that is running RAS. I created a entry for PPTP but no requests make it to the server. I have called the ISP for help but would rather talk to the experts to get the right info. The ISP said that if they get a static IP it will work but I have my doubts. I know if I set the router to bridge mode and get them a firewall it will work but they are trying to cut costs. Is there any documentation on VPNing and the 675 router? Please help

Dan

From issues I've dealt with in the past, I know PPTP requires a valid IP address. From what you've written it looks like you only have a single port translated address, and that could be your issue. I think you'll need to get another valid IP address for that server so the router can pass the GRE (PPTP) traffic.

I don't think you need another IP address for this. A proper static NAT would be fine with 2 conduits each for PPTP and GRE. I have tested this on PIX and it works fine.

Your idea might work but it won't be reliable. The real solution to this is to have a STATIC NAT from your outside interface to the NT server directly. Once static mapping and you can pass both PPTP and GRE. If you don't have a fixed IP address on your outside, I am afraid, workarounds will only give headaches.

sjohnson
Level 1
Level 1

I have a cisco 2600 series router that was configured by Hickory Tech. We are having problems with the vpn setup. I have MS Proxy Server 2.0 on NT 4.0 SP5. I can ping the external interface of the proxy but not the router. Also when the cisco vpn client starts a session on the router the client can't ping the internal network. What might be the problem?

Thanks.

I’m going to assume the 2600 isn’t a gateway router but a local router internally. One problem that may cause this is if your entire network gateway’s to your proxy server and not your router. They should gateway at the router and have the browsers point to the proxy. If this doesn’t solve the problem I’d go back to Hickory Tech and have them look at it since they are familiar with your design.

I have the same problem with the vpn client. I did find that if you ping the client from the internal network the client is able to see the network. Have you found any more information on the problem? I am running the vpn 3000 concentrator behind a netopia router running NAT.

Thanks for your help.

metehans
Level 1
Level 1

We want to host our customer's Intranet servers in our local network. So we are thinking about using VPN and Private VLAN technologies together. How can we bind them? Is there any idea about this?

thanks

I can try helping you if provide me a little more information.

1.Where do you want the VPN and for what purpose?

2.For the servers?

3.VLAN for what?

Hi ,

I am planning to deploy a VPN network for running a varity of IP based services - VoIP/Internet access, LAN to LAN traffic and Hosting services. The POPs would be places at 5 to 10 locations in varoius countries linked by fiber/Satellite connection. I need to know the Tyical infrastucture needed at the POP - 3600/2600 ?? and VPN Concentrator tech to be used ...IPsec/MPLS/GRE tunnels ???Any help is welcome

j.schwin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I want to setup site to site vpn currently I have a hub and spoke configuration. And would like to use most of the existing hardware. At the hub there are two 7200 routers and a 520 PIX. There are about 20 remotes, would the PIX be able to handle all the remotes. Also about half of the remotes are using 2500 routers with 4MB of DRAM and 16MB of flash. Would I be able to use the 2500 routes (with just upgrading the memory) the remotes are under 20 computers each. The rest of the remotes have 2600 routers (what would be the memory requirement for them). Thank in advance

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: