cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Pinging Outside interface from Inside

jonhill
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having problems setting up the ability to ping our Outside interface from our LAN? I've managed to configure pinging through the firewall to an website etc but have not been able to ping the outside interface from our LAN.

How do I go about configuring this?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

mehrdad
Level 3
Level 3

If you can't ping the outside IP address, it's the Cisco PIX default treat so you should open ICMP reply from outside by the following commands :

access-list 200 permit icmp any any echo-reply

access-group 200 in interface outside

Regards,

Mehrdad Arshad Rad

vasthorvak
Level 1
Level 1

use this command:

icmp permit "network here" "mask here" echo-reply outside

this will allow you to ping the outside interface from your internal network

I have applied your suggestion and the previous one and still have the prolem of not being able to ping the outside address from hosts on the inside. I also can not access the internet from the hosts on the inside. We have several web servers on the inside that clients can access correctly. I can't ping the inside interface from outside, but I can ping hosts on the inside via their NAT address. This is just for testing and in the future we will limit ping access. What have I missed? Attached is my config file. Thanks!

I may be wrong, but I had always been under the impression you can ping (if configured) the closest interface to the source of the host but not an interface through the PIX. Meaning you can ping E1 from the inside network, but you can not ping E0 through E1 from the inside network.

jonhill
Level 1
Level 1

If that is true then is there no way I can have our network management station ping the outside interface it and get snmp stats from it? I've managed to ping it through one of our other gateways but leaves a massive security hole in the PIX which we don't want to do.

Can anyone confirm that you cannot ping the outside interface from the inside?

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: