cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 501 ethernet1 line protocol is down

ticketone
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I've a problem with a pix 501. The ethernet 1 port probabily have an hardware problem, because even if I put a cable in one of the four interface the link is always down. I've upgrade the unit to firmware 6.3(5) version but without result. How can I debug the hardware to know it there is a fault with ethernet1? In the monitor I receive the

"Ethernet auto negotiation timed out.

Ethernet port 1 could not be initialized"

Thanx

5 Replies 5

bigchoice75
Level 1
Level 1

what are you plugging into e1? pc, switch etc..? what happens when you hardcode e1 and connected device with same speed/duplex?

does link come up?

mostiguy
Level 6
Level 6

A pix 501 has 5 rj45 ports - the outside ethernet interface, and the 4 port switch. The inside ethernet port is hard wired into the switch backplane.

ethernet 1 is the inside port. it is physically inaccessible. So, plugging a cable into any of the 4 switch ports should not help.

on a show config - what does it say for the interface lines?

When I Plug a cable in any of the 4 switch RJ45 port nothing happens. The sh int tell me "link protocol is down" and the led is off. I'll set a pc port to 100full (instead of auto) but nothing happens. I'll try straight and cross cable.

If I try the same pc with other pix, it's work all ok.

Sh int will only show the eth 0 and 1 interfaces, not the 4 switch ports. But eth 1 is hardwired into the switch. It sounds like the switch part of the firewall might be broken. Open a TAC case with cisco if it is under a support contract

did you hardcode the e1 port when you set pc to 100full?

command = int e1 100full

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card