cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX and lan connections dropping

benbollinger
Level 2
Level 2

some of our pc's need to run winipcfg every now and tehn when they can't get on the internet. after that they can pass through the pix po problem, but without releasing and renewing the winipcfg info they are stuck on the local segment. any suggestions. possibly a problem with our pix config or something else?

3 Replies 3

jwitherell
Level 1
Level 1

Can they access anything else on that subnet without any problems, or another subnet on the internal network? You're saying that *everything* else works, except going through the PIX, right?

I assume the "local segment" means that IP network, instead of the entire internal network, right?

I'd look at your DHCP server. Perhaps also your routing tables for the router(s) servicing that area to make sure you're getting a good last resort route on all involved routers.

brford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ben,

Are you using the DHCP server in the PIX?

Do you have your own DNS inside of the PIX or are users PCs configured to use a DNS outside the PIX?

Liberty for All,

Brian

Brian Ford | brford@cisco.com | brford@yahoo.com | 51 75 61 6c 69 74 79 20 6d 65 61 6e 73 20 64 6f 69 6e 67 20 69 74 20 72 69 67 68 74 20 77 68 65 6e 20 6e 6f 20 6f 6e 65 20 69 73 20 6c 6f 6f 6b 69 6e 67 2e | Email me when you figure this out.

We are not using internal dns, and dhcp is provided by a microsoft server. After a period of time the pc's are unable to get to the internet. They can't even ping outside the local network. they can get the internal interface of the pix but no further. running winipcfg and releasing the ip address allows them to get to internet again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card