Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX HARDWARE upgrading

tonny_ecmyy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I just want to know about the PIX firewall hardware, When i open the pix 506e casing, i saw 2 memory slot, one is in use and other one is free. Can i upgrade the memory in pix506e firewall to improve the performance? I'm not sure how much memory the pix506e can support. Anyone knows how much memory it can support? I hope this is not a stupid question ;)

Thanks

Tonny

5 Replies 5

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

According to this document...PIX 506 is not upgradeable..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a0080089b61.html

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thanks for your reply,

I wonder why there is additional memory slot and there is an USB interface, many of my customers ask this question, anyway...thanks :)

Tonny

My last conversation with cisco about the USB port was that it is not going to be used for console access, but, the intention is to use it for local authentication via certificates on a usb flash disk and as a data source to copy configurations to and from.

Would make my life a lot easier being able to upgrade configurations and IOS from a flash disk.

That's mean i can upgrade/install the pix software too..or do a backup to flash disk instead of using tftp server?what is the CLI commands to do it..

Thanks for your information

Tonny

Tonny,

The 506 supports 32 MB of ram. I have not tried upgrading memory on a 506, but reading various documents, tells me that it will not support more than 32 MB.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_data_sheet09186a00800b0d85.html

I also do not see a part number for a memory upgrade for 506 in the Cisco price list. If you have another 506 you might want to take the memory chip out of that and put it in the existing pix to make it upto 64 MB. Still I dont think it will detect 64 MB. Worth a try I guess!!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card