Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX version 7.0 Release Date

shariqashfaq
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to find out when PIX V 7 will be releasing? anyone heared about any time frame? I 've been told that it supposed to release in last week of march 2005? Any update on this will be highly regarded

sincerely

7 Replies 7

fedrodri
Level 1
Level 1

That is true. Version 7.0 should be out there on CCO by the end of March, or April's first week...

Federico Rodriguez

It occurred to me that the 7.0 release is only available for the 515 series and above. Will there be another 7-release for the 506 and below?

Hiya,

I have a PIX520 - and in the docs its not in the support list ? Yet I would expect the PIX 520 to be more than capable of running it ? After a PIX is only a modified PC running CISCO OS.

Anyone know if ths is a mistake or are they trying to ditch customers with slightly old hardware ????? HELP we are a edu/charity organistation and I can't afford to upgrade :((( I already looking at having to spend £10000 on upgrading our routers!!!

Thanks for any info

Ed

You are being end of lifed. The 520's have not been sold for a few years. This is a product cycle decision - functionally, there is not much different hardware/capability wise between a 515 and a 520 - the 515e has a 433mhz cpu IIRC whereas the original 515 has a 200mhz pentium, which is close in speed to the 520.

The 6.3 train of PIX code is still active and will still be maintained for the immediate future. As has been mentioned, 6.3 is the last release train that will support the PIX 520 though. The 520 will reach an End of Hardware support status in 2006 which means you will no longer be able purchase Smartnet support for your PIX. Cisco does offer aggressive trade-in credit for older hardware so it might be worth a call to your local Cisco reseller to find out how much an upgrade would be.

Sorry for the bad news but we can't support all of the old hardware forever.

Scott

zahid.hassan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You can download the beta version which works fine with memory upgrade. I am running beta version 7 on a 515 with 64m.

Cheers

Zahid

thanks zahid

I guess you are running Restricted license wth 64mb? are'nt you??

shariq

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card