cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Priviledge levels

m.walia
Level 1
Level 1

We are currently taking over a network. The previous provider used TACACS and AAA which allowed the customer to view router configs with sensitive provider information "XXX" out. This would be a combination of IP addressing, snmp-server strings, passwords and secrets.

We are not planning to use TACACS, and wanted to know if there was a way to provide this using user priviledge levels?

Many Thanks

3 Replies 3

paddyxdoyle
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

Yes, you could use privilege levels to allow access to certain commands only such as debugs, certain show commands. As i am sure you know you would have to configure this on each switch/router.

You obviously have reasons for not using TACACS, if its budget then Cisco's free TACACS+ deamon (tac_plus) which runs on Linux/Unix would be more than adequate to provide a free TACACS server giving the option of centralised management of user priveleges using AAA.

I have a document i wrote on how to configure tac_plus, let me know if you are interested and i'll dig it out.

Rgds

Paddy

terryv94
Level 1
Level 1

How does one give show config access and hide sensitive information such as SNMP strings etc? This question has come up before and answer was not found. Thanks.

As far as I know, you can't. You can, however, take certain precautions. "service password-encryption" is the absolut minimum.

As far as SNMP community strings are concerned, these are not very secure anyway as they are transmitted on the network in the clear when they are used. I don't have any RW communities on my routers and switches unless absolutely necessary. Furthermore, I put an access list on the snmp ("snmp-server community ", and I raise SNMP traps if these are violated ("snmp-server enable traps snmp"). If I want to be really paranoid, I put in a static ARP entry for the local SNMP NMS, and exclude any remote SNMP with an access list.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: