cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"OOB Error: Mac address of...not found" when using ubuntu

morgankevinj
Level 1
Level 1

When trying to login the login page of Xavier University's campus network, I get the following error "OOB:Error Mac address of...not found". But if i reboot the same computer in to windows 7 i have not problem connecting to the network.

2 Replies 2

Helo,

This error normally appear when the switch is not sending the snmp link up/down and/or the mac notification trap to cam.

Make sure that the snmp config on the switch and cam are correct.

Best regards

Tiago Antunes
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You have to make sure the machine is sending traffic to the interface so the switch can detect that a new mac address is there and send the snmp trap to the CAM.

If you go to http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/nac/appliance/configuration_guide/48/cam/m_apxb_er.html#wp1009740,

You will find among several event logs, the following:

"Unable to process Out-of-Band login request from [ ] .
Cause: connected device [] not found.
"

If this is the error ou are getting, this error message appears when the CAM does not receive appropriate MAC  Notification about the client machine. Three common causes for this  error condition are:

The  SNMP trap syntax from the managed switch is not compatible with the  SNMP trap syntax on the CAM. (Ensure the syntax/configuration between  the switch and the CAM is consistent.)

The  client machine is already connected to a switch port on the  Authentication VLAN before the CAM is configured to manage the switch,  thus the CAM cannot authenticate the OOB user login request because the  CAM is not aware of the client machine connected to the switch port.  (Try disconnecting the client machine from the switch port and  reconnecting.)

There  are one or more device filters acting upon the client machine MAC  address and/or the client machine MAC address appears as an exempt  device in the CAM's Certified Devices List.

HTH,
Tiago

--

If  this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question as  "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.